Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butcher paper, plastic wrap, or foil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butcher paper, plastic wrap, or foil?

I normally wrap my brisket and Boston butts in plastic wrap to rest after reaching a internal temp of 190-200. I've seen where some folks are using butcher paper and i was looking for a little input. Thank you in advance.

Uncoated butcher paper (don't get the waxy stuff) does not provide a hermetic seal like plastic or foil so it prevents the bark from getting mushy, but you are not able to recover juices like you can with plastic or foil. I wrap all my briskets and butts in butcher paper and like them better that way, but your mileage may vary. Best thing to do is to give it a try and see how you like it

Comment

• (fuzz)
      (fuzz) commented
      Editing a comment
      When I think of Texas Crutch specifically I think of sealed foil--this is not that. But you do it the same way, wrap after you get a nice bark and let it finish cooking in the paper. It does not speed cooking as much as foil, but unlike foil I have never had anything get mushy with paper.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you using butcher paper that is JUST paper? my butcher paper usually has a plastic coating on one side. I LOVE that stuff! I used to buy it by the case when I made soap. that is what I used to line my soap molds. The molds were very much like my 9x13 pans and I used butcher paper to line the soap molds the same way I use parchment paper for marshmallows. Just wondering.

• (fuzz)
      (fuzz) commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, for cooking I use butcher paper that is just paper.

Thanks, i'll have to check it out.

Comment

Do a search, a couple of us have tested this recently. I found the butcher paper to be a perfect balance between foiling and staying naked, good bark while still moist.

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

get a pan and a cake cooling rack to stick in the bottom of your cooler before you wrap the meat in butcher paper. Obviously if you crutch with the paper, you'll lose that juice, but you'll get all the juice from the cooler rest in that pan. My .02

Comment

I create a foil boat under the meat to capture any rogue juice trying to make a break for it through the paper. bonus: makes clean up a breeze as well.

Comment

I like using butcher paper and usually use the pan-cake rack method. Got a roll of brown paper from Amazon 36" high for about $50. How you fold the paper around the meat is important too. Add more time for cooking. Foiling cooks faster.

Comment

CandySueQ can you send me the link from Amazon where you get your paper? I cannot find the 36" roll on Amazon.

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I found it

I appreciate all the input!!!

Comment

Aaron Franklin did a test of foil, butchers paper and not wrapped here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                    FLBuckeye commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spoiler alert: he favored the butchers paper.

Not sure if anyone saw this on amazon:
                  Pink/Peach Butcher Paper Roll 18" X 150' in Durable Carry Tube

http://www.amazon.com/Peach-Butcher-...=butcher+paper

I think this is the right stuff... a little pricey for what you get though maybe

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
                  Not sure if anyone saw this on amazon:
                  Pink/Peach Butcher Paper Roll 18" X 150' in Durable Carry Tube

http://www.amazon.com/Peach-Butcher-...=butcher+paper

I think this is the right stuff... a little pricey for what you get though maybe
                  That's the one I bought. With 2 - 36" pieces per, it will wrap 25 briskets. Little over a buck a brisket. Small price compared to the time & effort I've got invested in a brisket cook.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post

That's the one I bought. With 2 - 36" pieces per, it will wrap 25 briskets. Little over a buck a brisket. Small price compared to the time & effort I've got invested in a brisket cook.
                    That's the same paper I use. Love it and love using the paper over foil. Comes in a cardboard tube for storage. Just did 3 Boston Butts this weekend wrapping them at 165.

Comment

I did my two butts with the SnS with the butchers paper. Can anyone share the technique they us for folding / wrapping? I did a double wrap but was trying to avoid having the apple juice upside down, if that makes sense. I tried 2 different ways and I am not sure which is better. I used a silicone band to keep the paper closed on one and on the other, I wrapped it up and then flipped it and wrapped it again. Not optimum

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here