Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever done a full kitchen clean-out/re-org?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I am finally getting around to doing this. Wow. The stuff I have found that has been collected over 20 years in the back of all of these kitchen cabinets thus far:
    • Eight random paring knives
    • 24 metal skewers (all rusted!)
    • Two toasters, one of which appears to have been a wedding present (from the year 2000)
    • A random electric can opener
    • A mandoline slicer, of which I have no memory of how I have it
    • A George Foreman Electric "grill" (This is from the old apartment! We couldn't have gas or charcoal grills! Honest!)
    • Random assorted parts from who knows how many food processors, none of which fit together to form a single functioning food processor
    The archeological dig continues.....

Comment

We ran into the same thing two years ago. We remodeled the kitchen and had to pack it all up for the tear out. Same type of mystery finds.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes because I found one too!! 🤣

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I believe anyone who says they haven’t had one is probably lying.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John Maybe I am the only guy who never owned a George Foreman grill... first thing I bought out of college was a gas grill for my apartment patio, and cooked most meals out there. Only thing I knew how to cook on the stove was chicken parm, as my sister taught me - it was a nice one pan meal.

"Spring Cleaning" takes care of that. Discard a mystery item then it's not there when you need it.

Comment

Would never try this on a "normal" Thanksgiving week😳, but since this one ain’t normal, SWMBO might not go totally ballistic on me🤣. Not gonna find out tho.

Comment

Other things as we continue....
          • Four sets of electric mixer whisks. I do not seem to have any electric mixer to which to attach them....
          • Two turkey baster bulbs.....no basting tubes to be found anywhere....

Comment

I haven’t done a full kitchen clean out but I have e done some clean out. And yea, the purge ends up being quite shocking! Where did this come from! Hahahah

Comment

....and the number of random yellowed tupperware bowels without matching lids.

Comment

• Red Man
                Red Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Gross...Tupperware bowels 🤢. I’m pretty sure that if I cleaned out my kitchen, I wouldn’t find any bowels.
                Last edited by Red Man; November 22, 2020, 10:44 PM.

• Michael_in_TX
                Michael_in_TX commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL. I did not catch my misspelling there!!!

It's my spice cabinet that is crying for some weeding out. Maybe you'll inspire me. But then again, maybe not. I'm feeling lazy.

Kathryn

Comment

We’ve kind of been in a full house, attic and garage reorganization and clean out over the past year. So much stuff has been tossed, sold or taken to the Good Will store. My wife’s father died 6 years ago, and left so much crap for us to deal with (almost hoarder levels) that she never wants our kids to have to deal with a mess like that.

Comment

Yeah, this is something that I need to do too. Konmari that stuff! I did it to "my bedroom" and actually posted a sign "does this spark joy?" BF comes home and gets all weird thinking that I was going to leave him. 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                    Jfrosty27 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just had a wave of guilt wash over me. We have so much stuff everywhere. I need to find some motivation somewhere!

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Honest advice? It helps me to do this. Pick one small area to start with. Set a day and time to do it, then do that area. Pick another area to clean next time, the next day or next week. If you look around at everything in the whole house to do, it can overwhelm you.

• SheilaAnn
                    SheilaAnn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I couldn’t do the konmari the exact way she said. I broke it down to dresser, closet, closet shelves. And it’s all trashed again! 🤣🤣🤣

I was forced to do a reorg of the entire house a little under two years ago. In fact, the cause of this problem was Thanksgiving 2018. Basically the whole house got moved out, and the missus and I returned stuff to the house one box at a time. A highly critical eye was used to decide whether to keep, donate, or trash.

Our kitchen is not large enough to fit all our stuff, but we can get the dishes, silverware, knives, pots and pans, etc into the cupboards. Small appliances and some of the less frequently used bakeware won't make it. So I have organized the most frequently used items to go where they make the most sense. Wooden spoons and spatulas, for example, go in a drawer near the stove. Etc.

I have storage shelves in the basement for the stuff I use once a month or less.

Anyway, we had a very similar experience. Where did this come from? Why do we have 3 of these? When is the last time we used this?

Comment

Now I need to tackle the coffee mug cabinet. I drink coffee daily; my wife does not, but she will have a cup of tea from time to time. I don't need this many. I need to cull all of this....there are probably 25 of them....down to 6-8.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Join a Mug Club or two or three....????

I hope you're taking before/after photos, Michael_in_TX . Kudos for your perseverance.

Kathryn

Comment

Since we had some free time this summer we emptied the garage attic and a bunch from the unfinished basement. Straight to the work dumpster. Still have some more work to do for sure.

Comment

OMG. This is it. This tops it.

While cleaning out one of my kitchen cabinets, on the topmost shelf, utterly out of sight from the floor is a closed Tupperware container. In it is....is...

I'm not sure.

It seems to be some form of seasoning blend of dried herbs, perhaps 1.5 cups worth. However, all of it is a rather unnatural shade of dark grey. Whatever moisture was in there is long gone as it is rock solid. I dared not open the lid. Into the trash it went!

That....whatever it was....had been up there for fifteen years, easily. Wow.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Rather surprised this didn't make th cut fer Thanksgivin celebration, but reckon it's yer call, Brother

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here