Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping Meats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping Meats

I just finished up making bacon and beef jerky. We have more than we will eat in a timely fashion so would like to mail some of each to friends in another state. Recommendations on containers to ship in would be appreciated. Bacon and jerky don't need to be keep frozen as we all know but I do intend to send them out frozen and hope they get there in plenty of time and still be chilled. The packages of meat are Vacuum packed. I'm thinking UPS over USPS if for no other reason than I think the post offices are plenty busy right now handling ballots. At least the state we are sending too have mail in voting. TIA

First go to https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US and calculate a time and cost. If it is close, ground service will do, if it is quite a distance consider 2nd day service. This is a good time of year to ship perishables as the package will spend most of its time in a trailer and the weather is cooler. That said, you will still want to ship early in the week and avoid having it sit over the weekend. Sign up for an account and use a promo code, right now the website says 'EASY' will save you 40%. Do not schedule a pickup (will cost you) rather print a label and drop it off at a shipping centre (UPS Store, UPS Customer Counter) or hand it to a driver.

As for packaging, I suppose it depends on how much you are sending. In general you want a sturdy box (it will be traveling on a conveyor belt with numerous packages and stacked in the back of a trailer) well insulated, and wrap the meat in a well sealed plastic bag with insulating material. An Igloo type ice chest would be ideal, but is a bit pricey. A Styrofoam container in a sturdy cardboard box with bubble wrap around the meat would be close second, for example this. Some meat companies ship in a very sturdy Styrofoam container, if you can find something like that packed with bubble wrap. A sturdy cardboard box packed with some insulating material and plastic (in case condensation forms it does not get package wet) will suffice. Finally, if it is just a small amount, there are bubble mailers available for cold shipping. Ship it frozen and add a couple of these cold packs and you should be fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here