Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domestic rabbit (not wild)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domestic rabbit (not wild)

My brothers, sister and I grew up raising rabbits for 4h. As a result after fair there were plenty of rabbits to butcher and we ate it a lot. Mostly in place of chicken. We never grilled or smoked them, so I bought one at my local butcher shop to put on my smoker. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. Finish temp? Techniques? I'm guessing mabey Treat it like a whole chicken?

Interesting. Waiting with you for help. Friend raises wabbits.

Comment

I’ve cooked hot like chicken with good results. IMO there’s not enough fat to cook slow.

Comment

• jpbbq
        jpbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, that's what I experienced. Thanks for the input.

If you Google it, there's a bunch of things about smoked rabbit. Supposedly domesticated rabbits are less lean than wild ones.

Comment

The cute ones taste best. Cotton tail bubbies fried, mike gravy, biscuits. BBQ too. Corn on the side.

Comment

I have a friend who raises and butchers rabbits. Eats them all the time. Not sure if she’s ever grilled or smoked them but I’ll find out and let you know!

Comment

• jpbbq
            jpbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            We ate them a lot also, rabbit and noodles, and pan fried rabbit I remember.

I've never had good luck cooking rabbit other than stewing. Maybe all we have around here are fricasseeing rabbits.

Comment

There are a number of rotisserie rabbit recipes out there, like this one. https://youtu.be/7qFpVr8JO90

Comment

It's on now! Well see what happens.
              Attached Files

Comment

Fried rabbit is fantastic. So is braised. Never smoked one.

Comment

Ok, so here is the finished product. To start with I rubbed on some olive oil, dusted with poultry seasoning I made and use regularly. Smoked it in my offset with charcoal and oak chunks. 1 1/2 hours in I was convinced it was going to be dry fast despite the basting with equal parts vinegar, butter, and water. I would have wrapped it, but found out we didn't have any foil. So I put it in a aluminum pan with some of the vinegar/butter baste and slices of butter on it then covered with another aluminum pan. After another hour to 1 1/2 I took it off at 170. Planned on 165 but neighbor was tal king. Rear leg quarters were barely dry. The rest was moist. Not fall off the bone though. It was good tasting, kids 8 and 13 actually had seconds. My wife thought it was ok, mabey should wrap in bacon next time. I learned that grilling, roasting will probably produce better texture and flavors next time. We agreed to try it some other ways such as pan fried, roasted and seasoned for tacos. Also will oven roast and make rabbit and noodles.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here