Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dutch process or natural cocoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dutch process or natural cocoa

I just did some experiments with dutch process vs natural cocoa. They say use Dutch process when the recipe calls for baking powder, and natural (the normally available cocoa) when baking soda is called for. I wanted to know what the difference could be with hot chocolate and chocolate pudding. The Dutch process cocoa pudding and hot chocolate turned out with a smoother taste, the natural had a bit of a chalky taste. So for me, the dutch process turned out better for these things. I will use Dutch process cocoa from now on unless baking soda is in the recipe.

Here's more than you probably want to know about chocolates:

Your recipe calls for Dutch-process cocoa, but all you have is natural. Go ahead and make the substitution — but first, read and follow these tips for a better result.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      great great GREAT reference! Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here