Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effect of UV sterilizing lights. Would it be useful for us? Or is it another sales MYTH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effect of UV sterilizing lights. Would it be useful for us? Or is it another sales MYTH?

Hi,

Due to the COVID19 pandemic I see more and more products using UV lighting for sterilization purposes. Killing many nasty perks.
    Next text has been taken from the description of one of them;

*Used for more than 1 hour, it can effectively kill 99.99% of E. coli, Proteus, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus subtilis.
    *Kill dust mites: make beds, sofas, blankets, pillows, and towels no longer make the skin itchy and red.
    *Kill bacteria, bacteria: kill mold, fungus, E. coli, etc.
    *Remove odors: Remove unbearable odors from trash cans, toilets, kitchens, refrigerators, closets, shoe cabinets, warehouses, etc.
    *Green and high efficiency, pure physical sterilization method, no secondary pollution.
    *Powerful germicidal lamp, widely used in homes, hospitals, shops, schools, restaurants ...

Would it be useful, at least it won't harm, to keep one in our smokers? In our tools cabin? Above our handwashing station?

Would be a nice for a new mythbusters test!

At the low prices I am seriously thinking to get some. At least it will improve the optical safety aspect(or illusion?) of my customers.

Yeah, I know our meat will look terrible as the ideal light colour for food presentation is around 2800-3000K.

But It would be simple enough to drop a UV worklight overnight in a smoker. And add some in my work space/storage and truck bed.

Anyone?
    Attached Files

Why would your smoker need sterilization?

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the smoker sterilization would seem to take care of itself when you run it.

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
    Why would your smoker need sterilization?
    That is the question. Would be beneficial germ or presentation wise.
    For knives, cutting boards etcetera I do see opportunities.
    And from salespoint view, it could make my customers feel better, believing that we work with maximum hygienic care.
    But would it be a really effective measurement. That is what I like to know.

Me myself I just heat, brush and pass a tissue with olive oil.

Comment

No. The smoker gets hot enough that anything will die in it. Washing, regularly, more than usual, things like knives, cutting boards etc will do more in reality than UV lights. If you don't do that, well, the lights won't do much.

Comment

The low price ones you can purchase are not in the correct germicidal range to be effective. Once you get past the ‘Black Light’ range of bulbs you have to start protecting from skin damage and eye damage. Also the attached chart, if it came from their sales material, has nothing to do with the UV spectrum. Even with the correct UVC bulbs your regular sanitation proceeds are going to more effective.
        Last edited by Donw; May 17, 2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I agree with comments above. As someone who works in a research microbiology lab, we no longer use UV light to clean our surfaces. Even if you had UVC bulbs there are a lot of factors that would decrease the effectiveness (humidity, bulb placement, bulb age). You can not use them when people are around (eye damage, skin cancer). Routine cleaning will be much more effective.

Comment

Basically the answer is no and it takes UV-C to kill it which is highly damaging to humans to do so. Her is a pretty good article that explains it. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-with-uv-light

Comment

Some people use them in aging lockers. They emit ozone though (if I remember correctly)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here