Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some ideas, Moroccan recipes that would do well with smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some ideas, Moroccan recipes that would do well with smoking

As some of you know, I'm trying to smoke as much of every recipe I come across. Recently my wife won a set of Moroccan dishware and I decided the photo debut of said dishes would HAVE to be with ethnically inspired food. The problem is, I really do not like curries which leaves me with some random vegetarian soups or kebabs.

Right now I'm trying to source ground lamb to make kefta kebab as a last resort, but maybe one of you fine folks has a great idea? I scoured the internet and found multiple "top 10 Moroccan recipes" etc and most is curries or things not really suitable to smoking. I might try one of the soups at some point as well, but that's not really what I want the first cook for these "fancy" dishes to be.

Mahi-ye Doodi which is smoked white fish...though other fish could be used. It's Persian, but not too dissimilar from a Moroccan dish I've had. Even if fish isn't a mainstay of Moroccan cuisine.

Lamb, beef & chicken are eaten a lot...though most of it made in a tagine. Some of those could probably be smoked instead. Keep in mind that a lot of Moroccan cuisine has a lot of saffron, mint, olives, citrus...and couscous. Of course, couscous generally has some sort of stew type thing on top of it, but it's insanely popular. So perhaps a tagine type dish smoked and then served over couscous..?

Also, if you can find it...look for Ras el hanout. (Had to look at a hand written label on my jar for that one.)
    If you have a middle eastern market near you they might have it. It's the "garam masala" of north Africa: peppercorn, paprika, coriander, chili pepper, ginger, turmeric, allspice, mace, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, cumin, fenugreek, and cardamom. Yeah, lots going on there. Never made it, only purchased it or received from friends.

Lamb kebabs are also very popular. So is méchoui...which is pretty much a whole lamb cooked on a spit. I see no reason why lamb "parts" couldn't accomplish much the same.

Keep in mind that Morocco has been trading with both the west and east for centuries...so they have a sort of fusion between Moorish, Persian, and European foods. IOW, some European dishes...especially Mediterranean, could be adapted with the above mentioned spices/additions. Likewise, a Persian dish could be more "Moroccan" with the edition of the same. A lot of north African dishes could probably translate as well.

Comment

Ditto what surfdog said.

Ras el Hanout is the main seasoning in Moroccan and North African cooking. Each spice shop has their own recipe but it is basically a blend of the best spices the shop has to offer, hence the name which means, depending on who translates, "Head of the Shop," "Top of the Shop," or "Best of the Shop." Sometimes there are 30 or more spices in Ras el Hanout but most have about 12. It is not curry but will have a different flavor than what most Westerners are used to. I love it myself and make tagines, tangia, and kebabs periodically.

Méchoui, as surfdog stated, is a spitted lamb roasted over a fire or in an oven. Lots of internet recipes call for using legs or ribs instead of a whole lamb. No reason you can't smoke it.

This is the Ras el Hanout that I buy: https://www.berbertrading.com/pd-mor...-el-hanout.cfm
      Last edited by 58limited; February 6, 2020, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Cross linking for future searchers. But I didn't get to make the lamb dish I intended due to local supply. Still turned out pretty good. The smoked couscous held it's own even with the spice heavy lamb. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...020#post808020

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here