Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Grad Party Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Glory
    Club Member
    • Feb 2018
    • Northshore MA
    • Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
      XL BGE
      DCS Gasser
      Humphrey's Cabinet Smoker
      Weber Performer

Slow & Sear
      Vortex
      Ceramic Grill Store Reducer Ring
      Woo Rig;
      Adjustable Rig
      BGE Pizza Stone
      FireBoard
      Pit Bull Fan
      Griddle Store Griddle

Grad Party Cook

Hi I am going to be cooking for my daughter's Grad Party. Will be about 70 people - mixed adults, kids, and seniors.

Was Thinking of the following:
    Pulled Pork 25-30 lbs
    Ribs not sure how many racks??
    Burgers
    Dogs

Sides:
    Baked Beans
    Coleslaw
    Salad

Purchase:
    Chicken Broccoli Ziti

Drinks
    Adult Beverages
    Water
    Chips

So I will be serving pulled pork, burgers, and dogs. How many racks of ribs should I do? Is the pork number right?

Thanks!
  • Backroadmeats
    Club Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Central mn

For the slaw I have a recommendation.. use Meathead recipe for the creamy slaw but instead of sweet relish use dill pickles!!;. It is amazing!!!

Comment

• Keiferr
      Club Member
      • Jun 2018
      • Southeast Michigan

I usually figure a 10% loss from cooking boneless pork butt. Then I figure 1/3 pound per sandwich .You should be able to make about 80 sandwiches with 30 pounds pre cook, 26 pounds cooked. For ribs i figure 2-3 bones per serving, about 5 servings per slab. If you want everyone to have some you'll need about 15 racks of baby backs. You could also go with 10-12 spares as there is more meat on them. I'm just one idea though. I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck!

Comment

• Old Glory
        Club Member
        • Feb 2018
        • Northshore MA
          XL BGE
          DCS Gasser
          Weber Performer

Slow & Sear
          Vortex
          Woo Rig;
          Adjustable Rig
          BGE Pizza Stone
          FireBoard
          Pit Bull Fan
          Griddle Store Griddle

Thank you that helps very much.

Comment

• DeusDingo
          Founding Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Madison, WI
          • Weber Q320 grill
            Masterbuilt Propane Smoker
            Maverick and thermo Pen thermometers

not to contradict anyone but i usually get ~50% loss from cooking bone in pork butts after trimming and cooking and discarding any parts of the meat that aren't desired (rubber band parts or large chunks of fat nobody wants). i usually figure 1/2+ lb per person uncooked (which comes out to about 1/4lb cooked) which means a 10lb butt will feed ~20 people, rounding down to 17-18 if you feel like being conservative (and depending on how many young men will be eating).

Comment

• PBCDad
            Club Member
            • Jan 2016
            • Seattle area
            • Pit Barrel Cooker - 2015
              22" Kettle + SnS - 2016
              Maverick ET-732 - 2016
              Thermapen - 2016
              Jambo 24x48 offset smoker (Big Tex) - 2017
              Camp Chef Denali griddle - 2018

I'm a little confused, you are offering burgers and pulled pork? How are you looking to serve the PP? As an alternate to burgers on a bun, or as a side dish to the burgers?

The 1/2 lb per person precooked weight has served me well for pulled pork, but that is when it is the main dish. If people are going to plop some down like it was potato salad, 1/4 lb precooked per person sounds about right to me.

2-3 ribs per person also sounds good if you have sides, but again, for me personally, if I have a burger, I'm not going to also eat ribs, that sounds like too much. Now if you have a ton of food people may load up their plates, but I imagine you'll have a good amount of waste. Personally I would cut out the ribs, cook some extra pulled pork, and make some extra hamburgers in case a few people are still hungry - it is much easier to throw on some extra burgers at the end. But I understand wanting to go big for a graduation party.

Congratulations to your daughter, and to you and your spouse for getting her this far!

Comment

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you PBCDad!
          • Old Glory
            Club Member
            • Feb 2018
            • Northshore MA
              XL BGE
              DCS Gasser
              Weber Performer

Slow & Sear
              Vortex
              Woo Rig;
              Adjustable Rig
              BGE Pizza Stone
              FireBoard
              Pit Bull Fan
              Griddle Store Griddle

Yes the pulled pork is going to be served as sandwiches. People can self serve. Pork, roll, slaw, and BBQ sauce.
            Will be served along with burgers and dogs.
            If you think that's enough I can cut out ribs
            Alternative selection to BBQ will be Chicken Broccoli Ziti

My plan is to have pulled pork in trays holding at temp until noon. At 11:00 I will start the charcoal grill. Let it get hot then start cooking burgers and Dogs. Serve them in aluminum trays - self service. All on a buffet line.

Sides:
            Salad
            BBQ Beans
            Chips
            Fruit Salad
            Ice Cream Truck Coming for desserts

Beer & Wine
            Sodas & Water

I figure 35 - 40 lbs pork
            50 burgers
            50 hotdogs
            2 trays pasta

Party is Sunday. Going to cook pork Saturday. Pop in fridge overnight then heat in oven Sunday morning. Will cook burgers onsite.

Comment

• JeffJ
              Charter Member
              • Feb 2015
              • Michigan
              • Jeff

For 70 people ribs seems like overkill given all of your other food choices. I cooked for my son's grad party last summer. We had a nacho bar, pulled pork sandwiches and strategically-placed munchies. That was it. I cooked 7 pounds of ground taco meat (which wasn't nearly enough) and 50 pounds of pork butt (that was the weight before it was cooked), which was more than enough. We had 135 people at the party. The party officially ended at 8 PM, but that's when I put out coney dogs (knowing the party would go later than that).

Having cooked for sizeable crowds quite a bit over the years, I've found that people tend to way-overestimate how much food to have. What I find that when I plan a menu with others, people tend to think about each food item individually - how many burgers would feed 70 people? Then, from that they come up with a burger count. Then, how many hot dogs would feed 70 people? Etc. You need to look at the menu as a whole when coming up with quantities. Granted, you don't want to run out of anything, but you also probably don't want a ton of leftovers either.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. So looking at my amounts above assuming Pulled Pork is the focus are my numbers good? I would hate to run out of anything. I figure I could freeze uncooked burgers and dogs.
            • JeffJ
              Charter Member
              • Feb 2015
              • Michigan
              • Jeff

Old Glory I think your number for the pulled pork is fine. Since you are cooking the burgers and dogs during the party you can cook to meat demand and, like you said, freeze any unused meat. Most grad parties of been to people wander in and out during the day and if people are attending more than 1 party in a day don't expect those people to have real deep stomachs at your party. I'd recommend 30 pounds untrimmed for the pork butt, to be safe. After trimming a bit (if you plan on trimming) you'll probably be at 25 pounds of uncooked meat.

Comment

• Nuke em
                Club Member
                • Jun 2016
                • Nj

Also factor in if there is gonna be teenage kids they will prob eat a lot. 1/2 lb per person sounds right. Don’t think many will want burgers when bbq is around. But I would use it as a back up if the bbq runs low.
                Another thing I have done is placement of food. Example don’t put brisket at the beginning of the food line when you have more pork than brisket. Put your pork first and people tend to fill the plate with pork. Then place your coleslaw. By the time they get to the brisket, there is not much room on the plate to fit a whole bunch of brisket so they take a little bit. I call it portion control.
                It works really well when the protein is covered and you have limited quantities

Comment

• IowaGirl
                  Club Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Northeast Iowa, USA

Do you really want to be grilling burgers and dogs during your daughter's party? I would want a menu that wasn't quite so hands on during the event. It's going to be a hectic day just being the host without also being a chef. Maybe ribs and pulled pork are enough?

Comment

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I attended a grad party last summer where the hosts had asked a friend to work the grill on their behalf. I cooked hot dogs (for coney dogs) at my son's grad party but it was after the party "officially" ended.
                • Old Glory
                  Club Member
                  • Feb 2018
                  • Northshore MA
                    XL BGE
                    DCS Gasser
                    Weber Performer

Slow & Sear
                    Vortex
                    Woo Rig;
                    Adjustable Rig
                    BGE Pizza Stone
                    FireBoard
                    Pit Bull Fan
                    Griddle Store Griddle

I was thinking I would only be behind the grill for about and hour. Cook the burgers and put them in a tray for self service

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                  Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                  See more
                  See less
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                  The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                  The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                  The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                  The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                  The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                  We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                  Stylish and Affordable
                  Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                  Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                  A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                  Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                  GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                  The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                  This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                  A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                  FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                  Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                  Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order