Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salted and unsalted butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salted and unsalted butter

I was doing some surfing to find how to use salted butter in recipes that call for unsalted butter. I found the following info if anybody is else is as obsessive compulsive as me Anybody else have any info regarding this topic?
    "If you're in the US, labeling laws actually make it pretty easy to know exactly how much salt is in your butter, and yes, it varies by brand.
    Salt is sodium chloride, it's 40% sodium by weight. Land O Lakes salted butter (my go-to brand) has 90mg of sodium per tablespoon. That means it has 225mg of salt per tablespoon, or 1.8 grams per stick, 7.2 grams per pound. Table salt weighs 5.7 grams per teaspoon, so Land O Lakes salted butter contains 1.26 teaspoon of salt per pound of butter."

Nah. I love salt, I do worry about the Sodium-Potassium pumps in my cell walls now, thanks to Dr. Blonder.

I do make sure and get unsalted when making clarified butter.

Comment

I prefer salted butter for most things. I feel like butter is usually a very small percentage of any dish so I don't worry about it. If you understand the baker's percentage system you will know how to breakdown a recipe to determine if the salt in your butter is going to effect the taste of your dish. If your dish has a higher percentage of butter and a high salt content... Just reduce your salt a little bit.

Comment

I really don't bother too much with salted vs unsalted. My go to butter is Kerrygold.

Comment

• OGMrWhite
          OGMrWhite commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 I agree completely.... and Kerrygold is awesome, and always available.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and often on sale at Fresh Market.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here