Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improvisation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Improvisation

    I love recipes, methods, and techniques, but, as often as not, I wing it. Maybe more often than not, but it rarely sucks. Times, temps, ingredients, (except baking) are guidelines, not truths. What say ya"ll?

    #2
    I agree. I try new ways of doin' old things, and new things too. I'll also look online at a number of recipes to make something, and then just pick the parts of several recipes that I like.

    Comment


      #3
      Thatโ€™s the way I roll

      Comment


        #4
        I feel you. Sometimes I just mime a cook on an imaginary grill. ๐Ÿ™‚

        Comment


          #5
          I agree with that -- some of my favorite "tricks" have been the result of improvisations (or, let's be honest, just plain screw ups that worked out well).

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
            I love recipes, methods, and techniques, but, as often as not, I wing it. Maybe more often than not, but it rarely sucks. Times, temps, ingredients, (except baking) are guidelines, not truths. What say ya"ll?
            Agreed. Iโ€™ll do things like measure by weight when baking or mixing bulk ingredients like rubs (รขโ‚ฌหœcause Iโ€™m lazy and it makes cleanup easier). Other than that itโ€™s pretty much all by taste and "feel".

            Comment


              #7
              Yup, as above...

              Every cook is different, so improvisation is, imho, a necessary culinary skill to nurture, an develop...

              Comment


                #8
                Yep, Im a รขโ‚ฌหœwing manโ€™ for sure. Thatโ€™s how I discover new ways, some of them even reusable:-)

                Comment


                  #9
                  I try to go with what I remembered from reading a recipe, unless it is for someone else

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I agree with the posts above. I do save and use a lot of recipes but pretty much "wing it" thru them----except in baking bread.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I have a kind a basic master mix rub that I mix in large quantities and then use it as a base to which I add other spices to pitch it in a specific direction like southwestern, Cajun, Mexican, or a sweet Memphis rib bub.

                      Comment


                      • CaptainMike
                        CaptainMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I really like this idea.

                      #12
                      I have not grown or cooked my wings yet.....

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Yup. I just do stuff.

                        But I am not exactly very "organized". Never have been.

                        Comment


                          #14
                          I do a fair amount of improvisation, but the first time I try a new recipe I usually try to follow it pretty precisely, and then from there start tweaking and changing. I like to know that if its not great the first time that it wasn't because I didn't pay attention.

                          Comment


                          • Dan Deter
                            Dan Deter commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I suppose I should mention that I try to put the tools in my shop back where they go also....

                          • CaptainMike
                            CaptainMike commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hahaha, so does my wife. NOT!

                          #15
                          I am like Dan- most of the time I start with the recipe as written. Then I get off script.

                          Comment

                          Announcement

                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          0
                          Guest
                          Guest
                          500
                          ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                          7