Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leftovers & Longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leftovers & Longevity

Hi Folks - would be very grateful for suggestions on recipies and solutions for surplus cooked brisket, ribs, pulled pork. I want to serve my food from the smoker (minus some resting) but at the risk of being drummed out of the club :-), can you re-heat and re-serve uncarved brisket and ribs. Or is it best to look at options for cold re-uses! Just looking at how to minimise waste!

There are many, many dishes in which BBQ meats can be reused. Pretty much anything that would take the un-BBQed leftovers (or fresh): all kinds of Mexican dishes, stews, chilis, BBQ sandwiches, meatloaf, meatballs, Shepherd's Pie, Pork pies, ...

You may not use the leftover BBQ as the only or main meat, but then you may. Because of the smoke, it's almost a condiment.

What I would say is that getting a vacuum sealer helps preserve it in the freezer.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Not much to add to this advice except maybe a little parmesan cheese.

My learning cooks have been small and eaten up in 2-3 days, when I'm bonefide, I'll load more on the fire and feed the leftovers to the vacuum sealer!

Comment

My leftovers are finished off sometimes almost 2weeks from the cook date. If it smells good eat it.

Comment

Vacuum sealed pulled pork is almost as good after being frozen for four months and reheated in the microwave. Contrary to what is said here I’ve vacuum sealed leftover brisket slices and I think they are close also. You lose any hard bark texture but the flavor and smoke is still there.

Advantage is anything you originally cook to round 200 degrees can’t be any more overcooked when reheating to eating temp, so microwave is fine. Reheat enough to melt the fat and re melt the gelatin. Large amounts, the vacuum bags can go right into sous vide machine.

Ribs I just don’t know. Never had enough left to freeze. I gues by definition ribs keep longer than they last.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3C9DDD2D-8365-4008-847A-1445EE5A1FD1.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	437960 Brisket Benedict:
          fry the leftover sliced brisket in a pan put on plate
          fry eggs in brisket fat in same pan.
          Add eggs and top with hollandaise.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Ohmigosh, that sounds and looks so delicious.

Kathryn

• Butchman
            Butchman commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow that looks decadent !

My two favorites are; Pulled pork enchiladas, I like green salsa Verde better than red sauce, and brisket chili. I actually use a vegan chili recipe, because my son is vegan, then I split the batch, and add a healthy dose of brisket to one half. And I substitute chipotle for about 1/3 of the chili powder. Smokey meat and smokey heat. Hotter than the chili powder though, so go easy until you figure out your balance. As far as shelf life, I try to use it up within a week or two. Rarely have enough to freeze, but when I do, I vac pack, and it is fine weeks/months later

Comment

I'm still a newbie at owning a vacuum sealer, but I can tell a bag of frozen pulled pork will last longer. My former method of squeezing as much air as possible out of a Ziploc bag would always result in ice crystals forming eventually. But it would still be pretty good warmed up. For short term storage in the refrigerator, the Ziploc method should be more than adequate.

Comment

• Eugene A
              Eugene A commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. Been using the vacuum sealer from time to time freezing homemade bacon, and the meats I buy to use for jerky, including pork belly for the homemade bacon. I haven't done anything with cooked food (other than the bacon) -- yet.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here