Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas? Charcoal? Why not both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas? Charcoal? Why not both?

As I researched BBQ and smoking I found that of coarse you get different results doing BBQ with charcoal vs gas. Well I have gas smokers so I figured I was stuck with what I had. Well, one day a simple idea came to my head. The size of my smoke pan I have will fit about 2 dozen briquettes. So, I tried it out. I filled my smoke pan with briquettes and put my wood chunks on top of them. The results were outstanding. I haven't logged in for some time so if someone has already tried this and talked about it I guess I'm beating a dead horse. Has anybody else tried this?

Tally,
    I a lot of custom rigs can be setup for both. My Klose rig is a stick burner but also has a hook up for gas/propane which i sometimes use on long smokes to keep temp even and steady. mine is also NSF rated so i can hook up under a hood in a restaurant if a choose to

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Brother,
      You should set up your signature so we can see what equipment your working with. Looks and sounds like some pretty bad ass stuff.

• Tally
      Tally commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Looks like a fancy rig Cho!

Go for it Tally! Love to hear the results.

Comment

I've got a coues(cooz) deer hind quarter in as we speak. So far I've tried pork ribs, beef ribs and a brisket(4lb flat) and the flavor and look have been better than just gas and wood chunks.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeh, coues and the carmen are two I will probably never hunt.

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Must be a General thing, every Chinese restaurant I go to spells General Tsao's chicken differently.

• Tally
        Tally commented
        Editing a comment
        Without searching it I think it was Lt. Elliot Coues that named them.

Good thinking Tally! I have a buddy who has an electric smoker and liked what he made but wanted to get flavor closer to mine so I encouraged him to pack some charcoal on his wood pan with the chips. It worked pretty well. That's the thing about us BBQers, we aren't afraid to push the boundaries of our equipment, within reason.

Comment

• Tally
        Tally commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah
        I have really loved the results! The deer hq came out delicious. The texas mop sauce really helped it!

I often do the same thing with my electric smoker, including some briquets with the wood chips. Not the same flavor as I get when I add wood chips to charcoal, but really good when I have a long cook that I don't want to fuss with.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here