Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Munich Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munich Thoughts

DogFaced PonySoldier So, we didn’t really do a lot in Munich other than visit Marienplatz and the related markets. It was mostly spent with my sister. I would recommend trying to visit Rothenburg for an overnight trip. It is a beautiful small town from the medieval times with lots of wonderful shops and good food. The houses are stunning.

Marienplatz and the food markets should be amazing though, and we spent hours sampling and trying things. I had a wagyu beef sandwich with Mayo, an ox sandwich with onions (this was much better than the wagyu) we bought wonderful coffees, and some lovely gingerbread. We also saw dried eggplant and had yummy sweet pickles.

Attached Files

Rothenburg meal: gyro meat with melted cheese mixed with mushrooms and sauce. Yum.

Attached Files

Comment

And because I have nowhere else to post it. Deep fried sushi from Estonia of all places….
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the best place for schnitzel in Munich. It was glorious. Bring a empty stomach as the portions are huge!

In Munich though many local restaurants offer schnitzel, there is one place I’m going to suggest for real schnitzel lovers which is Andy's Krablergarten!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          That's awesome, I already had Andy's on the list!

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Note Andy’s is cash only!

And my very tasty pork knuckle and potatoes. And now my airplane is taking off!

Attached Files

Comment

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          oh man, those are sooooo good. I've been meaning to have a go at trying to make them.......

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          Editing a comment
          Also on our list, I've been drooling over these on YouTube videos.

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Here is where I ate it DogFaced PonySoldier

✓ Restaurant ✓ Bierhalle ✓ Stammhaus ✓ Essen & Trinken ✓ Bayerische Küche ✓ Wagners Salons

Can be a bit pricey but it was good!

Wow! looks like you had some delicious food on your trip!

Comment

Thanks for the tips! You definitely reinforced my plan for Munich. Andy's is on our list for sure, and a couple other places. I have it on my computer at home, so I can't remember offhand, but I'll check.

We sadly only have one FULL day in Munich. We arrive late on the 5th and leave early on the 7th. The morning of the 6th we're going to Dachau, then come back and spend the afternoon going through Marienplatz and hope to hit the English Gardens and a few more sights.

There'll lots of pictures - of landmarks AND of food!

Thanks again STEbbq!

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
            WillTravelForFood commented
            Editing a comment
            In Munich, we enjoy the chinese beer garden park area.

and there's always a day trip to nearby Neuschwanstein Castle (aka the castle in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Dachau was worth it. Obviously very sad but powerful.

The food and scenery look fabulous

Comment

Been to Dachau, very very dark.
            They have an awesome science museum in Munich, can’t remember name, was there in ‘92

Comment

Explore the Schloss Nymphenburg in Munich. Former palace converted to a museum. I went there in 1974. Beautiful!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              Editing a comment
              Nymphenburg is also on our list - I don't know if we'll have the time to see it though. I still remember the Schloss Schonbrunn we saw in Vienna- holy CRAP!

I was in Rothenburg back in 2001. What a cool and interesting place. One thing that really struck me as odd was the McDonald’s right on the main drag. Oh it was very well disguised with just a tiny sign out front showing only the golden arches but inside was all Mc’D’s in every way. Weird in a medieval town.

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Saw it too. It is weird.

That said, I felt way stranger eating McDonald’s at the Dachau bus station location.

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              We used to stop at the McDonald's in the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof for a beer while waiting for the train.

Use to travel to Germany on business for many years. Threw a few Oktoberfests in that mix too. The food was fantastic along with the views. Glad you got a chance to experience it. Great country to visit.

Comment

Great to see a Dutch cheese shop in Germany with the signage in English selling not just any Dutch cheese but premium Dutch cheese. Not sure what premium Dutch cheese is supposed to be, even as a Dutchman. Perhaps anything but the bog standard Edam cheese would qualify.

You must have had some Münchner Bier to wash away all these delicacies

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here