Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any STCG fans? I got the new cookbook yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any STCG fans? I got the new cookbook yesterday.

Haven't looked at it in depth, but just flipping through it I found a few recipes I'm going to try. Birria tacos, Chile Relleno burritos, might try making my own tortillas following his recipe, etc. I love his channel and the recipes that I've tried. Looks like every recipe could have a photo as well. His recipes are always simple but delicious.
    Attached Files

We love Sam. Haven't gotten his latest book, but have all of his other books. His carne asada marinade is the absolute best! That and his hot dog chili are 2 that are in our rotation. His somewhat recent french bread pizza is also becoming a regular. He (as he admits) isn't a BBQ guy, but I don't watch his videos for that. Frankly, a lot of his BBQ techniques I would never do.

Comment

Let us know how you like his cookbook vs. surfing his You Tube channel. I just did a huge cookbook purge and have decided to add any new cookbooks very judiciously.

BTW his Chorizo Birria sauce for chicken birria tacos is outstanding.

Here's the recipe I use, modified from his online recipe:

Chorizo Birria Sauce

8-10 oz chorizo (I like Fresh Market Chorizo links with the sausage removed from the casing)
      1 medium onion chopped
      4 cloves garlic, minced
      S&P
      (Sam uses 1 TBL Chipotle Chile powder only. No other chile powders. I use 1 tsp of each of 3 chile powders)
      1 tsp chipotle chile powder
      1 tsp guajillo chile powder
      1 tsp ancho chile powder
      1 tsp ground cumin
      1 tsp smoked paprika (Sam uses I TBL)
      1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
      1 cup chicken broth (I use homemade chicken broth)
      8 oz lager beer (not hoppy)

Brown chorizo lightly, add onions and saute until the onions are soft and the chorizo is separated

Add garlic and stir for 20 seconds

Add S&P, cumin, smoked paprika, and the chile powders, being careful not to burn the spices as they toast.

Add the chicken broth and beer.

Simmer briskly for 5 minutes to burn off the beer's alcohol, then add the fire roasted tomatoes.

Blend with an immersion blender.

Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes.

Use immediately, store in fridge for a few days, or freeze for future use. (I like to have a batch of this sauce at the ready in the freezer for a quick birria taco dinner.)

At this point, for the chicken filling for birria tacos:
      Brown 1.5 to 2 lbs of skinless boneless chicken thighs. (You can brown them before making the sauce and set aside until the sauce is ready).
      Add to the sauce before the last simmer step and cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes until the chicken is pullable. Assemble tacos; dip or brush outside of tortillas with the sauce. Add toppings of choice.

Instant Pot Method:
      I prefer to brown the thighs in the Instant Pot, set them aside while I make the sauce on the Saute function. Then I blend with the immersion blender before adding the chicken back to the IP in the sauce and set the IP to 18 min High; wait 10 min then release the pressure. The infusion of flavor is really delicious this way.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; June 16, 2022, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I adore Sam. His recipes are all fairly simple to prepare and I would say "can't miss." Whenever I make something from his catalog my family goes nuts with delight and regards me as a Demi-god. That said, I probably will just continue to use his website and Youtube channel and not purchase the book.
        Last edited by hoovarmin; June 16, 2022, 06:59 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy I've got to check out this Paprika. Do you recommend it?

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          hoovarmin I love it and several others do here too, there’s a few threads about it. I have mobile and Mac versions and they have sales fairly regularly. You can import from about anywhere, I’ve even imported from the pit (just copy a link to the specific post number). I’m different about how I use it though, I generally only add/import recipes there after we know we like it…well at least until I shared Paprika with the other half, but we’re workin on that.
          Last edited by glitchy; June 16, 2022, 09:12 AM.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          My personal exemptions to the must like it first rule are some STCG recipes and stuff from a couple members here like Troutman

It's wild, when I first ran across his channel, I couldn't stand him, I sheepishly admit. But now I think he is my favorite cooking YouTube channel. The vast majority of my day-to-day recipes come from him.

He has ten years worth of videos on his channel and you can watch his show evolve significantly over the years, from the talk-show format, to the cooking live show format, to the ~10-15 minute outdoor format that is in use today.

I think Max (his son and primary videographer) may be nearly entirely self taught. You can really see how the videography and editing improve over the years. Late 2018/early 2019 the show takes a large jump in production quality.

While he doesn't use this tagline much anymore, his approach is "maximum flavor, minimum effort." He is also directly responsible for me giving up measuring every single little ingredient perfectly.

If you get to his level on YouTube, it is clear you can really do quite well. If the charity Ukrainian video he did a few months ago is any indication, he (and his team) are pulling in $15k-$25k on each video that does well.

I do wish he would do more seafood videos, but Max has often hinted they just aren't profitable and if you look at the views, it is quite stark. The seafood videos often get 1/4 less views than the others.

This week I'm purposefully not watching any STCG videos so that I can watch two-week's worth when I'n at a conference next week.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Michael_in_TX same for me on no longer measuring everything. I have to say, that has been liberating and increased my enjoyment of cooking tremendously.

I like Sam, I watch most of his videos. I do wish he didn't use the F-bomb so... I dunno, flagrantly. But otherwise, I like his stuff. It was ok when they used to bleep it, now they've stopped and it just seems a little unnecessary to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude. But I think it would be better without it.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree completely on the language. They could be just as educational and entertaining without all the swearing.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Same for me....he does seem to have toned it down quite a bit in the last six months.

fzxdoc and Michael_in_TX I subscribe and watch pretty much all his videos for the past couple years and use his web site too. I don’t love the organization on either, but can find what I looking for if I have something specific I’m looking for. I’ve only made a few of his recipes, but have gotten lots of simplified technique ideas from him. I don’t really use paper cookbooks at all, the main reason I bought it was I saw the autographed copy and thought I’d like to support him and also wanted to make him do a little work signing it 🤪 If anything I generally would buy the kindle copy, but that wasn’t available yet.

I don’t eat a lot of seafood and the girls won’t touch it at all, so find the rarity of seafood recipes great about the channel. However, Michael_in_TX, there are at least 10 seafood recipes in the book.

That all being said, now that I have it, I think it’s one of the best cookbooks I’ve seen in terms of how a cookbook should be done today. Every time I open it I find another recipe I’m probably going to try. A lot of it is the Mexican dishes and sides in the book.

Comment

I probably watch a Sam video every evening in my wind-down routine. Great recipes and fun to watch. Really love he has his family involved in his operation.

Comment

I love Sam. He has a great show.

I ate a fair amount of Birria Tacos while on the road in Baja the last two weeks. I could not get enough! I would love to try out his recipe. All those little back road spot had killer Birria. I would often eat at least two tacos, then get a kilo "Para Llevar" so we could chow down on it at our campsites!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	67606588510__4B028EA8-D5F3-4893-A19A-9485C5E524A1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1237627

Comment

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              Drooling. I made his Birria recipe and it was a keeper, for sure. Not wanting to take out a second mortgage, I subbed chuck for the short ribs and it was incredible.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh I am sure chuck would work just fine. hoovarmin

I enjoy Sam's recipes, but find him a bit grating. Probably because he's from back east, and I've had enough of people who talk like him ;-)

Comment

I watch Sam all the time and I have most of his books. I bought the latest but it didn't come with a signature card or certificate of authenticity. He posted his Korean Street Taco recipe from his restaurant in this book, it was interesting to see how well my interpretation from watching his vids matches what the recipe actually is (I was off but not by too much).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here