Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Wrapping (Texas Crutch) Result In A Juicier, Moister End Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Wrapping (Texas Crutch) Result In A Juicier, Moister End Product

The subject line of this post says (asks) it all. Your thoughts?

I don't "wrap" per se, I put my meat in an aluminum pan when it hits the stall and cover with foil so it is more of a braise. But yes, in my opinion, it is moister with the added bonus of getting a lot of juice to use in the sauce as well. I usually add butter when I wrap, and in the case of pork butts, a bit of molasses and maybe just a touch of maple syrup.

I do this not with the intention of shortening the stall (which it doesn't) but to catch the moisture that would otherwise be lost to evaporation. Not to mention the fat that starts to render at about 170 or so while taking it to 200 - 205.

The bark is a bit softer by doing this, but sometimes I will take it out and let it go another 15 min or so to firm the bark up if it really matters.

I will wrap ribs, however, but still put some butter and a bit of molasses on them. I'll use the juice in a glaze and put the ribs back in the smoker for another 15min or so unwrapped to let it set.

Comment

If you want a bunch of juice to serve, yes, the earlier you wrap, the more you will get. My dad finishes his in an army pot. Don't ask him about the stall or ANY temps ( internal or external).

In the end, brisket slices will be "juicy" not so much for the moisture retention, but for the collagen and fat you have rendered supremely edible.

The 2 briskets with the "juiciest" slices I ever had were wrapped at 194 internal, steamed off at room temp, chilled, and reheated. Both had been wet-aged for 43 days from purchase.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you buy sealed packer brisket and age them for that long in your refrigerator?

Sometimes I can get Choice or even Prime at a good price but may not be able to cook them right away. It would be good to know if I can hold them for several weeks.

Thank you.

George

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Cryovac you should be able to go about 45 days after the packing date. I figure I buy them within a few days of packing. Keep nice and cool in the fridge. 36 degrees or so.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Jerod.

I was a pretty staunch advocate of wrapping, mostly due to timing (unwrapped are done in 10 hours for me, wrapped are done in 6), but I don't wrap any more. Once I learned my equipment better there was no need, it typically just involves waking up to start and going back to sleep.

Is the end result juicier? Yes. Are my non-wrapped butts dry? No. It is a trade off though, and the dryness of the meat is so small that I don't even consider it, it comes down to whether I want a thick crusty bark or some awesome jus and wet paper bag like bark. I try to hold mine for an hour or 2 when done, this helps the moisture quite a bit on the unwrapped butts.

Only way you will know for sure is to do them both for yourself.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Just cuz it's a (trivial) pet peeve of mine, let me congratulate you on using the term "jus", instead of "au jus". ;

This can sometimes be a subject that gets some folks a little riled. A fantastic end product can be made either way, and neither is better or worse or cheating or 'more real'. Just like saucing or not, or what cooker we've used...it's all personal preference. I just want to head off any my way is betters before they start to creep in.

Wrapping pros- speeds up cook, saves au jus for adding back to pulled product, timing of the wrap can get you any level of bark you want, from thick jerky bark to barely there and anywhere in between.

Not wrapping pros- More water is evaporated off (stalled out, sweated out) resulting in a condensed stronger flavor; heavier and often thicker bark (if that's what you like), satisfaction of a long cook with no crutches.

Personally I like a compromise. I will always wrap mine, but I will do it after the stall. I wrap when the temp is around 180, even up toward 190 if I feel like it. This saves time (and to me saving time means I don't have to wake up any earlier to start the process, and it means saving fuel), still allows a generous bark to be built up, and saves me a good amount of jus in the foil to add back. I don't like my bark to be so thick and hard that it clinks when I set it in the dish to pull it, but I like it to be there.

I've done no-wrap cooks and the flavor is astounding. The bark however was a bit much for me. I've also wrapped right at the start of the stall and it was great but too soft...for me. Although that was one quick cook!
      Last edited by Huskee; October 28, 2015, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol DWCowles I know your thoughts: Not wrapping is best and hickory is best. And don't ever put charcoal in my stickburner. Am I close??

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        And I thought the wife was the only one that can read my mind 😊 Huskee
        Last edited by DWCowles; October 28, 2015, 10:21 AM.

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, everyone knows that wrapping in the stall and using mesquite is the best. But what counts most is don't ever, EVER use gas. (Why would you want to cook with something that comes out of your butt anyway?)

My personal preference is to avoid wrapping if possible. I've done it a couple of times when I was running out of time and had to get the internal temp of the meat up relatively quickly. I like the results both ways. Also, I am usually smoking in my WSM and I start with a half full water bowl. This creates so much humidity that bark won't develop while the bowl is cranking out steam. I use water for 2 reasons: 1 it helps make the smoke stick to the meat in that critical early period of the cook. 2 it acts as a heat sink so I can run my cooker with the vents almost wide open which diminishes the likelihood of an oxygen-starved fire and thus bad smoke. But in taking this approach I need to wait as long as possible to wrap so that the meat has time to develop decent bark because it doesn't develop any bark in the first part of the cook.

Comment

Coincidentally, (wow!! spelled that right on the first try, NEVER again!!!) my first brisket was a Prime flat that was boated (panned) at 160 internal. I barked it up right before serving. Probably my driest brisket ever. Cooked to 203 internal, was probably done 195-ish.....hence the dryness/over-doneness.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          I turned my first Prime flat into pastrami. Due to bad planning on my part, it only got to 170°F-ish before I had to take it off, but it was fairly dry anyway. Drowning it in Russian dressing and kraut made it fine! I'm gonna experiment with chuck roasts and maybe brisket points for BBQ beef.

I have never wrapped pork butt and it has always been juicy.

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy Pork butt has waaaaaaay more intramuscular fat than brisket flat. I try to put off wrapping those things as much as possible.

So i just realized that this is my first brisket cook with the meat laying down. The PBC had me spoiled and I didn't have to think of it. I laid it in the KBQ fat side down because the heat comes from the bottom for the most part in the KBQ. (I think) Should I have put it fat side up? Or should I rotate. Such a rookie question But I have never had to think about this before, now i hope its not too late.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          @Spinacker, I'm a bit old school, I have smoked brisket laying down Fat Up! To date I don't recall throwing any out? 👍🤔🍻🤔👍. Dan

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          The fan circulates the air doesn't it? If so I would think it doesn't matter since Typically fat side to help shield from direct heater or side the heat is coming from IMO.

Powersmoke_80 True, the fan does circulate the air, in the directions it says to avoid placing pans to close to the bottom because, the hottest air comes through the bottom louvers. but when i open that sucker up it seems that the ir is whipping around pretty well.

Danjohnston949 I am laying mine fatside down. I am going to be wrapping a little bit. I was thinking of adding the drippings to the foil. Good idea or bad. I never had the opportunity to do that with the PBC. I'm kinda in unfamiliar territory here and it makes me a bit nervous.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker, Just keep Chopping Wood and Don't Give It Another Thought, You Will Be Fine! 😚🤔🍻🤔😚. Dan

Spinaker, Well What's The Verdit? 👍👎 Inquiring Minds Want To Know! 🎓 Dan

Comment

The finished product was unbelievable. I can't even begin to describe it. I was just blown away. I think next time I am going to not wrap it. the cook will take a lot longer but it will be worth it. i just want to see how it turns out with no wrap. The only problem I have with wrapping, is the softening of the bark. That is my only issue. But all in all i was beyond impressed. Danjohnston949

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            👍👍🍻👍👍. Dan

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here