Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA on food safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA on food safety

This is scary:

Just hours after eating leftover rice, chicken and lo mein from a restaurant, a Massachusetts student was in the hospital with meningococcal disease.

When I saw that headline on Fox News there was a thought immediately in my mind, "something doesn’t sound right". Now I read the article & chicken was involved, oh & it was sittin out was involved. Yup, makes much more sense now.

Comment

I believe very little of what I hear, read, see, or, most importantly, say.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        🙈🙉🙊

Rice and Pasta (starchy foods) leftovers are very dangerous considering the toxin produced is heat stable for 90 minutes at 250 degrees. It is an emetic toxin (hence the roommate vomiting), so things happen pretty quick. Fried rice is a typical culprit since the rice is cooked ahead of time and reheated. The improper cooling down is when the bacteria flourish.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        (tosses rice left over from last night)

And yes, I'm serious.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I'm certainly going to look at those hibachi leftovers in a new light from now on.

You can keep rice and pasta a couple days if you 1) refrigerate leftovers quickly and 2) eat the leftovers within a day or two.

I toss it if I left it out more than a couple hours (home cooked, restaurant made gets refrigerated quicker), or if it’s been in the refrigerator more than 2 days. I’m sure I’m being very conservative. But rice and pasta are literally the cheapest foods we make.
      Last edited by Mosca; February 23, 2022, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a "go to the freezer guy......then the fridge."

I read this article a few days ago and shared it with my wife and kids. We eat rice and macaroni often and get take out Chinese which comes with several rice containers which we turn into fried rice leftovers. We don't leave stuff out and the leftovers get put in the fridge pretty quickly. My kids read this and now want nothing to do with ANY leftovers. We'll see how long that lasts.

Comment

This article is pretty scary, and I've never thought to have concerns about leftover rice or pasta.

I guess this meningococcal vaccine is the same or similar to the meningitis vaccine most kids get to attend school by a certain age? The article implies that the friend that also ate the food and did not get sick had those shots, but the kid that got sick did not have the booster (2nd shot).

I gotta wonder if I had those shots back in the 60's or 70's, how effective they are at this point in my life...
        Last edited by jfmorris; February 24, 2022, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I believe in being cautious with foods, especially these days. It seems the more advanced we become technologically the more humans don't pay attention to daily household, or job, processes.
          Anyway, I looked it up on the CDC website. Meningococcal type disease is very low in this country, probably due to the vaccine jfmorris pointed out.
          Still, I have learned something new and will not leave out pasta as long as I have in the past.

From the cdc: (A doc will have to say whether all meningococcal disease is equal. I have no idea.)

Rates of meningococcal disease have declined in the United States since the 1990s and remain low today. In 2019, there were about 371 total cases of meningococcal disease reported (See Figure 1). Anyone can get meningococcal disease, but rates of disease are highest in children younger than 1 year old, followed by a second peak in adolescence. Among adolescents and young adults, those 16 through 23 years old have the highest rates of meningococcal disease (See Figure 2). The proportion of cases caused by each serogroup varies by age group (See Figure 3).

Meningococcal disease is also seasonal: the number of cases generally peaks each year in January, February, and March.

Comment

I try to careful with the foods we eat, but I also remember staying with my Dad's parents in MS every summer. My grandparents ate their big meal around noon. When finished, they draped a tablecloth over the entire table with leftovers on the table. Anything that needed reheating was reheated for supper.

No one ever got sick that I can remember. That kinda gives me the shivers now...
            Last edited by RonB; February 24, 2022, 05:56 PM.

Comment

When in doubt, throw it out.

Back when I was cooking in a soup kitchen, the rule I followed was: If I wouldn't serve it to my grandchildren, it goes out.
              Last edited by gcdmd; February 25, 2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, fried rice is an Asian staple & it is always a day or two old. I keep my wild rice frequently up 4 days. I’ll make a batch and eat it over 2-4 days muchos times. Long as it’s fridgerated I’m stickin with it.
                Last edited by FireMan; February 25, 2022, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Appears that the food aspect of the story was misinterpreted. It wasn’t from bad leftovers, after all….

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for posting this.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here