Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fridge door open overnight, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fridge door open overnight, help!

This morning noticed fridge door was open with tonights lamb rack in it, temped the lamb this morning and it was 55°, shut door and am prepping for tonight, think it is ok?

Honestly I’m not sure. It really depends on how long it spent above safe holding temp. Of course if you cook the lamb to stay least 160 it will be safe but I like my lamb medium rare.
    Last edited by JeffJ; December 25, 2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      good thought on the cook temp, I bumped it up a bit just in case and it was awesome! If ya don’t hear from me, call 911!

I don't know if this is the answer, but if you sous vide the lamb long enough would it kill any potential pathogens? That might be something to research if no one here has the answer.

Comment

Might be an unpopular stance but id say its fine. If it was that dangerous we’d all be extinct by now.

Comment

I'd cook it. I think it will be fine.

Comment

Doesn’t everyone tell you to let it rest to room temp before cooking? There you have it. Let us know how it came out.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            You’re absolutely right Mosca How wrong is this.

Take roast, or whatever, out and bring to room temperature. Are they talking about the surface or the internal temp? If they are talking about the internal temp that would be what 5-6-10 hrs. Lots of bad things will probably happen in that time period.

Absolutely I would cook it. My mom used to put frozen meat packages on the flor over the heat vent to defrost them when we were kids. None of us got sick even once.

Comment

No reason to cook the lamb higher if it is intact. Just sear up the outer layer like any meat should be done.

Comment

Yup, it’s not like you’ll catch the cooties or sumpin!

Comment

so far so good, oh it was so good! I’ll post pics in what ya cookin’ thread later! Thanks for the support!

Comment

When in doubt throw it out. I don't take chances. That is just me in my old age.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here