Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you eat dinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to eat at 8 or 9. When I was still working as a surgeon, my wife would often feed the kids, and eat with me after the kids went to bed.
    (Once, when I was away for a few days at a medical meeting, my wife told the two girls while sitting at their Thursday dinner 'Daddy's coming home tomorrow.' The girls response: 'Daddy's gone?' Sad but true.)
    My wife gets hypoglycemic attacks, they come suddenly and she feels panicky and starts eating whatever she can grab from the fridge. And, they will trigger a migraine. So, we are eating earlier and earlier. Plus, if the grandkids are over, they need to go home, bathe, get ready for bed, etc.

So, pretty soon we'll be like the old folks in Del Boca Vista from Seinfeld: 'Well, look who's eating at six o'clock!' In Yiddish we call that 'hochmas', having an air of superiority.

Well, look who's eating at six o'clock. Your suddenly well-to-do president. But, you enjoy your last meal in office. Tomorrow, when they kick you out, you'll have plenty of time to drive around in your Cadillac.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1102725

Comment

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      "Daddy's gone?"

My dad was a public accountant. That sounds like our house from mid-January to the end of April every year. We got to stay up to see dad if he was coming home at a "reasonable hour" on the weekends.
      Last edited by Draznnl; September 30, 2021, 01:29 AM. Reason: Typos, I hate typos.

• Joey877
      Joey877 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, Draznnl. When I was 4 or 5 I thought my dad just left on a business trip for three months every year.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Just the bit map art of these makes me chuckle.

5pm. Kids are hungry and so am I. Food digests better while I’m awake and go to bed between 10-11pm.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That's probably good for you. I think a longer daily fast is for most.

I used to eat at 6pm when I was a kid as that is when Dad would get home for dinner. Pre-COVID, it would be 7pm as that is when I got home from work. Now, it is 4pm when I am working at home as that is when my wife likes eating and 6:30pm when i head into work for the day.

No breakfast for me, and lunch is either 11am at home or free lunch at 12:30pm at work.
    Last edited by STEbbq; September 29, 2021, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Are we talking dinner or supper….because for my in-laws, dinner is like 1-2pm. Supper, 6-7pm and is something smaller

but for me, dinner is around 7pm - after I get done with my bike ride and the wife and son are home from the gym and baseball. 5pm…..that’s my parents and I give them crap for that!

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        "Supper"to me is a word from little house on the prairie not an actual modern term 🤣

• Debra
        Debra commented
        Editing a comment
        My Husband ate Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper.
        No debate.

I work from home, but usually until 5pm. I'll start cooking (if cooking) after that. If it involves charcoal, I may on occasion go light a chimney before 5. So we typically eat around 6pm most days, unless we are busy, or out and about.

What's funny is that growing up dinner was probably closer to 7, and when I was single and in college I remember going out to dinner on dates at 9pm or 10pm in Atlanta. Here in Huntsville, a lot of restaurants are closed by 9 during the week at least. It was an adjustment when I moved here at age 23!

A Merriam-Websters Collegiate dictionary in my office in 1989 had the definition for the word "Dullsville" as "a dull and boring place" with the pronunciation listed "as in Huntsville". It was most true back then!

Comment

Sometime after the noon hour, depends on my upside down world.

Comment

I get home from work at a different time every day and usually start dinner, if I’m cooking, when I get home. I chose 6, 7, or 8 as well because it’s usually in that range.

Comment

In winter we tend to eat earlier around 6-ish and summer anytime between 7 and 8.

Comment

In the Before times, it was rarely earlier than 8 if not later as I would have to commute home and then hang out with the kids for an hour or so before they started showering/reading etc.

Now that I’m still working from home and don’t have the 45 min commute, it’s closer to 7.

Comment

We are a 6-7pm family. Both my boys are at the stage where they are getting home from whatever practice and need food before they start homework or go to another rehearsal/practice/church etc. Working from home has made that easier, before commuting made things a bit more stressful.

Comment

Another vote for 6-7. Closer to 7:00 more times than not. Can be earlier if we have something going on kids sports stuff, PTA, work meetings, etc. With COVID and working from home we have been cooking more elaborate or time consuming (prep time/cook time) meals. I can start prep between meetings and be ready to cook when the work day is done.

Growing up we ate at 6-7 as well waiting for my Dad to come home. I hated that because all my friends ate at 5-5:30 and would be done with dinner and back out playing. I would miss two hours of playing outside with them.

Comment

Everyday

Comment

I, like others with Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), must eat at least 4 hours before going to bed or suffer the ugly, painful consequences of waking to stomach fluids entering your trachea within an hour after falling asleep. Bedtime in this home is 10 PM, so dinner takes place from 5 - 6 PM.

Comment

Dinner time.

Comment

Only after a cocktail and a cigar….lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here