Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon a thing of the past in CA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is how most of the pork I consume is raised.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RtMYil450ZoWqDek-XkdbgoZrp4atLxYo74UrmKdoRZtkQcq7eyFcrErG3u67UWhlpvcos_bGBq6Z8lld8laYhgYbod_33fX4IFVm8UL226ggz0_SLKJEoIDoU6hnaIS-cx-TIDsf5yRmuAC37Y8IzXEcdPxHtT55ar5GV7VNPe4SxR0zsOK5ejinR-RvKHhCW2rEHMKbYReS_aBYSZnmX4epjap2QrFzRJ591ihAZzgFM8txBhJ6QsQZoJ4a6V
Views:	123
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1071454

Comment

• Bruceski44
      Bruceski44 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh the humanity! There's no water and little shade. Pigs get sunburned, don't you know? That's why they wallow in mud, plus they have no sweat glands. Where's the mud? Looks pretty cruel to me.
      Last edited by Bruceski44; August 2, 2021, 04:21 PM.

About timing: The initiative was passed by voters in 2018, and applied to eggs, veal, and pigs. Over the last 3 years, egg and veal producers planned for the change and have phased in their changes. Pork producers within California also planned for the change. Pork producers outside of California haven't.

About production and consumption: Currently, California produces slightly under 5% of the nation's pork and contains slightly under 12% of the nation's population; it currently consumes slightly more than 12% of the nation's pork supply.

About added cost: An agricultural economist in North Carolina (which produces a lot of pork) estimated the additional cost at 15% per animal to provide them with the additionally required room.

The tastiest pork I've ever eaten came from a small family farm where heirloom breeds of pigs had plenty of room, and a variety of types of feed. Likewise, the tastiest chicken, and the tastiest eggs I've eaten came from small farms. I was willing to pay quite a bit more for that, and the taste was so memorable that I've cut way back on cheap "commodity" pork and commodity chicken. I'd be willing to pay more and eat less pork and chicken if it were tastier -- that's partly why I also pay more attention to how I cook it, which is why I'm a part of the Amazing Ribs community. If I'm paying more for better pork and chicken, I want to cook them well and carefully. I neither supported nor voted for the initiative in 2018, but considering the lead time and my reduced consumption of commodity pork and chicken and eggs, I don't have much of a problem with it now.
    Last edited by RobertC; August 3, 2021, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats's what I said. We don't eat no stinkin commodity pork lol

I posted this thinking there might be some god opinions expressed along with some "semi" intelligent banter. Not disappointed. I didn't put an opinion in but I am thinking the market will respond more or less reasonably to changing demand whether regulated or from consumers. Sometimes just plain marketing changes demand. I know you all have heard the story of how Buffalo wings were invented (https://www.thedailybeast.com/who-ac...-buffalo-wings) but the real growth in demand for what was once a virtual waste product of the chicken into something they actually breed in chickens wasn't some word of mouth spread about a clever bar snack...it was a well designed and implemented marketing scheme. We can all probably appreciate that!. I am guessing marketing will have an impact here as well. Time will tell.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I remember as a kid my Grandma using wings in soup and for stock. I don't think I had a fried chicken wing until I was older. And hey, what's with the "semi"??? Kindly remove the quotation marks when referring to me lol

• fracmeister
      fracmeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Wings weren’t available when people mainly bought while birds but that changed when people started buying the less work intensive parted birds. And while there was demand for breasts, drumsticks, thighs, the other dark meat wound up heading to processed foods. Hard to separate meat from wings so they were processed into meal along with the etc. Of the bird. Selling them? Dream come true

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here