Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Houston Chronicle Article Discussion Of Smoke Rings…Mentions AR and Meathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston Chronicle Article Discussion Of Smoke Rings…Mentions AR and Meathead

I was just reading the Houston paper and came across this article discussing the myths of smoke rings in brisket. Thought I’d share it with y’all. It wasn’t in the online paper, even though I’m a subscriber🤷‍♂️ So I had to scan the article and post it. Sorry about the quality I’ll see if I can fix it. It reads pretty good if you blow it up a little.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 14, 2021, 06:08 PM.

It's nice to see credit where due on that research. There are lots of folks copying and writing acquired data as their own.

Comment

Harry Soo said in training for competition cooking you are told you cannot judge a brisket on whether or not it has a smoke ring.

Harry Soo also said he knows for a fact he cannot win the brisket category without a smoke ring.

Go figure.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        To be fair there are lots of competitions where you cannot win the thing without things that don't affect the quality of the thing... Pretty sure the only food related competition without subjectivity is an eating contest.

Yes, myth busted, but it's still a pretty cool feature when you get a good one. Makes for a little better presentation as well, for whatever that's worth.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I was just pissed they made no mention of me whatsoever.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahaha!!!

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Sitting here just shaking my head! Panhead John

Smoke ring on your brisket is the tan lines on your lady. Makes no difference, but man is it cool.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Great analogy! 😎

I found it: https://www.expressnews.com/food/chu...h-16290592.php

It was originally published July 6 in our sister paper in San Antonio. (I wonder if this is one of those things in which the print layout needed an article for space reasons.)

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Michael, but it won’t let me read it without subscribing.
        Last edited by Panhead John; July 14, 2021, 06:04 PM.

"BBQ judges eat with their eyes and look for smoke rings at competitions",--Per Meat Head's Mythbusting the Smoke Ring: No Smoke Necessary! But we eat with our eyes first, and a good Smoke Ring Pairs well with PBR.

Meat Head is Famous.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; July 14, 2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

FWIW one of my favorite rubs is a charcoal based one (one of the few that actually have flavor, but it's still not more than a typical commercial rub). I did ribs multiple ways one time and the best flavored ones IMO were not the best tasting ones according to my shop (who gets all my leftovers and experiments). They all liked the ribs with the charcoal based hardcore carnivore rub the most even though all the ribs got the same sauce glaze. Eyes eat too

Comment

If you wanted some of this, you shoulda put a ring on it! Ah, ah…ah, ah, ah!

just sayin’.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here