Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Bologna-Don't knock it until you try it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Bologna-Don't knock it until you try it!

I didn't find any info on the site regarding Bologna so i'll post my own. It isn't really surprising that there isn't much, since fried bologna is generally a southern dish, but it is cheap and ends up pretty good. Several places around here put it on a sandwich with pulled pork and or hot links.

Bryan is the brand I grew up with, but the store didn't have any so I went with Bar S; can't really beat 5 pounds for $5.
    A 5 pound chub looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	10192

Unwrap and then you need to crosshatch the meat with a knife using cuts about 1" deep. I cut all the way around at a slight angle across the meat, and did the same way the other direction, then I cut it in half for smoking. If you get your lines too close you will lose some pieces for the dog. Cut the bottom and top as well.

Name:	B2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	10193

Since bologna has plenty of sodium, I figured i'd try MMD, turned out well.

Name:	B3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	10194

I used 1 chimney of Kingsford in my PBC a smoked with cherry wood. I had never used less than a full coal load but it ran at ~270 for 4 hours. Here it is after about 3.5 hours, at this point I covered it with sauce and tossed it back on with the lid cracked for a half hour; temperatures reached 310.

Name:	B4.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	10195

Some people like it thick sliced, I typically fry mine so I sliced it a little thinner. Just like pulled pork, the crusty bottom was awesome.

Name:	B6.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	10196

Some people like it with mustard and onion, but I grew up with just mayo on white bread. Fry it in a pan over medium heat until you have plenty of burned spots, the crunchier the better.

Name:	B7.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	10197
    Attached Files

That looks pretty tasty!

Comment

Grew up with fried bologna sandwiches here in PA, but that was not the norm for our area. In central PA, smoked "Lebanon" or "Sweet" bologna is the standard. I don't care much for either one, very sweet - lots of molasses.

I grew up with the pink "German Style" bologna like you show in your pics. Dad always used Miracle Whip on his fried bologna sandwiches, I like a slice of american cheese melted on mine - hold the mayo or whip.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here