Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For me, multitasking makes cooking not fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we were raising the kids I was in charge of dinner. I became the king of 1 pot meals because I was terrible at multitasking.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      AND easier clean up!

Preparing a dozen buns with all ingredients for the smash-burgers to come, then as I’m cooking each set of burgers in 60 seconds and dropping them on the prepped buns, someone says, hey I don’t like mustard.

Gets me every time.

Comment

Multi-tasking and me cooking doesn’t mix. BBQ is relaxing for me (at least it’s supposed to be). If I can’t make sides while the meat is smoking or resting, my wife makes the sides. The meat gets my attention, followed by bourbon/beer, then maybe sides.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Ain't Bourbon/Beer th two B's in BBQ????

If not, reckon I mighta been doin it all wrong, fer lo, these MANY Decades
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 20, 2021, 06:21 AM.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        This!

One big reason I like doing cold sites (potato salad, deviled eggs, coleslaw, banana pudding, etc.) when I am doing barbecue is because they can just sit in the fridge until we eat. I can make them a day or so ahead of time and not feel rushed if the pork butt or brisket is being a bit stubborn.

But the times I do something like a steak or chicken and I have a couple sides going (and let's be honest, 99% of the time it is frozen tater tots and maybe some corn on the cob) and everything finishes up just at the right time and all the food hits the table hot it can be a great feeling.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Very Good Strategy, paragraph #1! Kudos!

RE: 2nd Part: Yuppers, it is, indeed, quite some kinda Great Feelin, when it All Happens, Jus so...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 20, 2021, 09:57 AM.

If I have the time to do all the prep I don't mind having two or three pots on the stove and a couple of things in the oven. There is a great satisfaction that comes from multiple dishes all getting done at just the right time. Sadly, I usually hit the kitchen a half hour before dinner time with no idea what's for dinner. I've gotten pretty good at throwing things in a pot, adding seasoning, and ending up with something that although it's not pretty, it is good eating.

Comment

I hate feeling stressed and absolutely can’t stand having people hovering in the kitchen when I’m trying to finish up. This site has not only made me a better cook but a less stressed one too. Just the idea of dry brining made me start planning the steps out in advance. My typical meal is a protein a starch and a veg so that’s not complicated but anything 4 dishes or more make me think about timing etc. Now I can bang out Thanksgiving w about 10 dishes no problem.

Comment

I think some people are more adept at multitasking and do it as second nature. That's not to say it's not stressful. I clearly remember nursing our newborn baby while simultaneously pulling on a pair of pantyhose in order to be ready in time to head out the door for work. I thought it should qualify as an Olympic event. Now that pantyhose are mostly a thing of the past, that may not resonate with other women and certainly not with the men here, but you get my drift.

Being able to focus is essential for many situations as HawkerXP notes, there is a time for laser-like focus and a time when multitasking is the only way to get the jobs done. In addition multitasking is a great way to stave off boredom as when watching TV and knitting or sorting laundry at the same time. So to my mind (and in my mind) multitasking and focus each have their place. Being adept at both and knowing when to use each is an efficient way to get through the tasks of the day.

Kathryn

Comment

I am a planner and like to think out, usually write down, and try hard to follow a plan when cooking. When cooking for crowds on Holidays or any time there's any extra Company I like to be prepared. If we have Family coming for several days we write down a menu for each day and follow it pretty well but are ready for some changes along the way. For me planning takes a lot of the stress out of cooking. Extra stress takes the fun out of it for me.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you and I could probably get along in a kitchen.

I know if I am having side dished with my Q then I start those first. I know everything can rest and kept warm, but with me, I would rather get those started first and then it gives me more time to keep an eye on my drum and make sure things come out right. Rather mess up a side dish than the meat. I can always pullout some ranch style beans or frozen veggies and put cheese on them if those get messed up, as for the meat, if it's burnt or over cooked, then the entire thing is a loss.

Comment

I try to focus on meals that once you get the mise en place ready, the final assembly takes a small amount of time. It's just organization. Maybe that's why I've gravitated to more traditional Asian meals where it's all in the prep and most everything can be done with a minimal amount of pots and pans.

Comment

I struggle with this too. I don't think I could be a chef or short order cook for this reason. I have a 1-track mind, 2 maybe, 3 at best.

I'm eagerly awaiting HouseHomey 's words of wisdom here.

Comment

I find that prep work should be done in stages, over a few days when and time allows. as far as all dishes ending at same time. Prep work Prep work, Prep work. Mise en Place! every thing is staged, timers are going with alarms to tell me where I am at in my day, and if needed, all is put on paper, so I can plan my cook, then cook my plan. Boiling water is the worse. I slide that over the counters, I am going to get a kettle and put a spout on the bottom like home brew kettles, that way I can move amounts of liquid into something that is on a tray on my lap, with a really tight lid, and then move it in batches. Edited to add, I dislike it too, just some meals deserve it. But, love watching a kettle smoke ribs for 6 hours and not need anything from me, other then an occasional rotation to the heat source, and some bourbon, or a good IPA. I could cook ribs every week
                  Last edited by Richard Chrz; March 20, 2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I do ok on week nights. Protein, Veg, and starch.

Thanksgiving is my stressful meal to prepare. My wife does desserts I do everything else. I am cooking for days getting things ready. Everything from scratch. Stock, stuffing, two birds, mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots, squash, gravy, and apps.

The timing is what kills me. I want everything to be ready at the same time. Major juggling act for sure.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                      Richard Chrz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So for a timing bit, I struggled with that at first too, still can. So, I just started taking notes of how long things took to cook, even the pace of getting my water boiling in various pans, even research it a bit on serious eats, then, I have an idea of how to schedule it in my plan, yes, even have the water ready on time.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here