Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide lamb chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide lamb chops

So I got these beautiful lamb chops and decided to experiment with sous vide.
    Got cumin and coriander seeds toasted then ground. I love cumin and lamb.

Then made a paste of cumin, coriander, a touch of chipotle powder, a touch of cinnamon, herbs De Provence and a bunch of grated garlic in macadamia nut oil. Rubbed that mess all over the lamb.
    As always, these were salted overnight prior to this treatment.

Ready to take a dive in 138 degrees hot tub time machine. I didn't set the time, I just dropped it in there and took it out when I was ready to.

Set up my makeshift grill, got it hot.

That chimney grill produces a beautiful crust every time.

Let's eat

Juicy,

Awesome!

Comment

Great cook Earnest! I think I might have to get myself one of those! I like the broccolini too. We grow that every year in our garden. Anyway, nice crust and the texture looks amazing. I look forward to seeing your cooks a great deal, as your visuals are excellent. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Much appreciated! I love broccolini.

Wish I still lived in Dallas - I'd be stalking your house for food

Comment

LOL!! The more the merrier TB. I throw feasts for reason.

Comment

Nice work! For red meats, I set the sous vide for 120-125 and then sear the snot out of them and take them off at about 130. But I've done side by side tests and reverse sear is better because in the slow cook on the indirect side, the meat picks up smoke. Not quite as tender, but more tasty. I call it red neck sous vide.

Comment

LOL!! For me it's a matter of convinience during the week.
            I can drop a cowboy steak or chicken in the tub on my way to work and I know it will just need a sear when I come back home with hungry kids.
            Steaks, I've always been a skillet steak dude.

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but how do you know when it's done "sous vide-ing?" You can't poke it with a Thermapen. It's probably something obvious that escapes me at the moment.

Comment

carolts I Used ziplock bags for cooking time experiments. This allowed me to probe the meat and reseal. It takes about an hour for a 2 inch steak to reach the same water temp (which is same as my serving temp). Takes 35 minutes for a thick salmon fillet to get to serving temp.
                It's impossible to overcook anything since the food will not get heated beyond the set temp. You might mess up certain item's texture if you leave it in there for too long but you'd really really try hard to mess thins thins up.
                My own rule of thumb is minimum 2 hours for things like chicken breast because I want to make sure that the common hibby jibbies are pasteurized out.
                Fish, I never go past 45 minutes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here