Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Hot Dogs on GrillGrates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Medusa
    Charter Member
    • Sep 2014
    • For those who are about to Cook - WE SALUTE YOU!

Weber Genesis Silver B - 14 years
      GG's
      Weber OTS
      Vortex
      SnS
      Maverick ET-733 dual 6' probes / Thermo-Pop
      ennoLogic eT650D IR ( -58 to 1202F)
      Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
      Kingsford Blue

Hot Dogs on GrillGrates?

I'll keep looking, but figured I could always use your feedback.

Have a Weber Genesis (3 burners). Thinkin' of throwing a few dogs on the GG's for quick and easy. What temp do you cook your dogs at for best results? I like a little snap with the skin.

Probably will get BallPark Angus.

Thanks,

--Ed
  • _John_
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Never worried much about temps for dogs, I throw them all on at once and take off at different donenesses, there always seems to be someone who wants it black.

Ballpark Angus are good, when I worked for them we did blind tastings quite often. Nathan's and Hebrew National have their following so people that eat those can typically taste them, but those who don't usually don't rank them at the top. Meat hotdogs rarely do well because the protein contents change based on what is cheapest, the seasoning has to overpower the meat because that is the only consistent flavor they can have to identify with their brand.

So with little change, our ranking almost always went:
    1. You won't believe this one, but our consistent winner was Bar-S beef franks. I know. They make nasty meat dogs at Walmart for usually $0.88 a pack and they taste like it, but their beef is an entirely different animal (literally!) and is actually really good.
    2. Ballpark Angus
    3. Ballpark Beef
    4. Oscar Meyer Beef
    5. Nathan's and/or Hebrew usually come in at this point.

Comment

• Medusa
      Charter Member
      • Sep 2014
      • For those who are about to Cook - WE SALUTE YOU!

Weber Genesis Silver B - 14 years
        GG's
        Weber OTS
        Vortex
        SnS
        Maverick ET-733 dual 6' probes / Thermo-Pop
        ennoLogic eT650D IR ( -58 to 1202F)
        Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
        Kingsford Blue

Thanks John,

I'll just run the GG's on low/low/low and hit it with IR gun before I cook. I'll get back later.

--Ed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
      See more
      See less
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}