Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Dogs on GrillGrates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Dogs on GrillGrates?

I'll keep looking, but figured I could always use your feedback.

Have a Weber Genesis (3 burners). Thinkin' of throwing a few dogs on the GG's for quick and easy. What temp do you cook your dogs at for best results? I like a little snap with the skin.

Probably will get BallPark Angus.

Thanks,

--Ed

Never worried much about temps for dogs, I throw them all on at once and take off at different donenesses, there always seems to be someone who wants it black.

Ballpark Angus are good, when I worked for them we did blind tastings quite often. Nathan's and Hebrew National have their following so people that eat those can typically taste them, but those who don't usually don't rank them at the top. Meat hotdogs rarely do well because the protein contents change based on what is cheapest, the seasoning has to overpower the meat because that is the only consistent flavor they can have to identify with their brand.

So with little change, our ranking almost always went:
    1. You won't believe this one, but our consistent winner was Bar-S beef franks. I know. They make nasty meat dogs at Walmart for usually $0.88 a pack and they taste like it, but their beef is an entirely different animal (literally!) and is actually really good.
    2. Ballpark Angus
    3. Ballpark Beef
    4. Oscar Meyer Beef
    5. Nathan's and/or Hebrew usually come in at this point.

Comment

Thanks John,

I'll just run the GG's on low/low/low and hit it with IR gun before I cook. I'll get back later.

--Ed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here