Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Biltong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Biltong

This stuff is delicious and sold at most stores that sell the more common beef chicken game ostrich.
    I have searched the web for how to make make it myself without finding any method that makes sense.
    One poster suggests hanging store bought bacon behind the fridge .
    It is very pricey so is only a treat every now and then for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190809_140154.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	728604

found this. no mention of hanging behind fridge.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I've tried a recipe very similar to this one (they are all much the same). A friend of mine has also tried but didnt work for him either. He makes lots of biltong in big biltong dryers that he sells.
      Sometimes it's hard to replicate something that is mass produced.

I had to look up biltong.... yours looks great!

Comment

And I thought Bill Tong was an Asian guy...

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        That was Billy Bong! gurgle, gurgle, gurgle...…..…hold it ………………......ahhhhhhhhh

Love biltong, but never heard of bacon biltong before. Not sure how they dry it with all that fat.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Was thinking the same.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the problem we are having. The store bought is all crispy. It is good. texastweeter

I had to do a double take, probably still jet lagged even though it has been 8 days in Taiwan so far ... I thought I read "bacon bitcoin"

Comment

• AverageJoe
        AverageJoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha

Are you using back bacon not belly bacon. All the recipes I found use back bacon. Here I found this one for you from your home land couldn't read most of it. Fortunately they had the recipe translated. https://lekkerreseptevirdiejongerges...n-biltong.html

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks have researched and this is one of the many recipes I've come across but they don't turn out like the store bought.

holehogg it has to then be the process used in the factory plants. The days aging. if they inject the solution. or any other of many things In our factories they use a multi-needle process to inject with. The vinegar in your cure could be used in the injection. I don't know. They might then keep it under refrigeration for the 3 days or even add additional days.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here