Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trimming fat, saving fat, which fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimming fat, saving fat, which fat?

So, yesterday I devoted about 3 hours to you tube videos about briskets, was watching them from Aaron Franklyn, and a Harry Soo? maybe? They both seem to be credible sources. So, I have trimmed all of my longer style cooks of their fat; pork shoulder, brisket, chuck roast. While watching Aaron, he was pulling lot's of fat and various trimmings off, which is what I do as well, but, he was so quick to say, this part of the fat is no good, this part is great and should be saved for trimmings, etc.. How does a person look at a piece of meat when they are trimming, and say, that is what I want to keep, that is bad fat? I am trying to not buy books, as that would go down a path of owning 20 of them, and no time to really learn from any of them. I am open to links, videos, advice, etc.. I would like to take some of this, and these trimmings, cut them up nice, and likely freeze them until I have enough to make some various sausages, but, for now, likely mostly, easy things (well, what I would consider likely easier in the game of charcuterie, and sausage making, like brats. thank you in advance.

You know that chewy piece of fat that you thought you would like when you put it in your mouth but then spit out? That one is no bueno.

good clean white fat is generally desired rather than the stretchy type sinew or the discolored very top of many cuts that look a bit like cottage cheese.

The rib roast chuckage is a good example.

the dirty stretchy top of the flat brisket piece I discard.

if you render them down and freeze in ice cube trays you are ready to go and you can see the fat as it renders and the pieces that are not so desireable.

I hope this helps.

Comment

I like the idea of even rendering down various parts and doing comparisons to what I am seeing, and even maybe making a few experimental batches and comparing some notes. For some reason, I never thought about rendering it down before freezing it. Thank you, that is a path I can see doing some learning on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here