Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage for R.B. & Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage for R.B. & Rice

I hear Cajuns recommend smoked sausage for RB&R. I'm not going to make my own!

I often use Johnson bratwurst, beer, water, onions, bratwurst seasoning, simmer for 45min. (avoid breaking seal), then grill. Fantastic! Recipe from Penzey's.

In order to cook thoroughly. Drop the simmer.
    Smoke how many hours? @ ~200F, what flavor wood for RB&R?
    slice & toss into RB&R.

What temp instant read in Brat = fully cooked

165 degrees

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_86566.png
Views:	254
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	662513 Hi Dick, From your avatar, your a pro at sausage. Thanks! No longer @Penzy's

This be good!
      Last edited by Ricorocks; April 10, 2019, 08:09 AM. Reason: Size of text, use magnifier

Comment

• Dick Anderson
        Dick Anderson commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a pro, by a long shot! Sure enjoy it, though.

Almost any pork based sausage will work, but a ham bone or salt pork works great too. Popeye’s red beans uses bacon. It tastes great, and my only knock is that it is all creamy with no whole beans. If you can get your hands on Camellia brand red beans you will have a winner. If you can’t, find the lightest colored red beans you can find. The dark one don’t cream up very well.

Comment

Thanks! LA for the city of angels, or Louisiana, Mr Pork Butt. Me born raised city of angels, now a Texan.

Any fav RB&R recipes, what smoke flavor is traditional?

Comment

Hey I smoked Johnsonville brats at 250 for an hour and the casing comes out chewy. Flavor is great but the chewy casing takes away from everything. Same thing happened on Johnsonville Italian sausage. Is it my technique or the brand I’m using that’s causing the chewy casing?

any help is welcome, thanks!

Comment

• DesertRaider
            DesertRaider commented
            Editing a comment
            If it's not going into a sauce, get rid of the skin, or, watch your temps like a hawk. I don't go beyond 160F and let carryover get it to 165F. Otherwise, I smoke Italian sausage and then freeze it. When I make spaghetti sauce, I get the sausage out and let it simmer in the sauce until it's all up to temps and the sauce is done (usually around six hours or so). Sausage is tender and the skin is no longer a close cousin of the rubber band.

I like andouille sausage for my red beans. HEB has a lot of choices. They're all pretty good.
          I slice it, pan fry it, and add it on top of the red beans.

I can dig out my red beans recipe..... it's a book, in the garage..... but most of the time, I buy blue runner red beans. They're tasty.
          Last edited by BFlynn; July 17, 2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here