Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage making peewee league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage making peewee league

Backroadmeats has the major league game going, but I'm trying my best here! 40 lbs of beef/pork blend.

I had 14 lbs of pork and 6 lbs of beef, and then I decided while I have the gear out I could go ahead and clean out the freezer. Ended up with 24 lbs of beef and 16 lbs of pork. Some of the beef is a little lean, so I added some extra fat saved from trimming briskets and cutting down ribeye roasts, along with a little pork belly fat. Pretty sure I have enough fat in the grind, but haven't cooked up a sample yet to confirm. (Hope I'm in the right range, because I don't really have a plan B at this point. But it's not my first time doing this, and I'm pretty sure I'll be okay.)

For 40 lbs of meat, I added 10 oz. of salt before grinding. It's not enough, but I'll add more to taste when I decide what recipes to make. My stuffer holds about 10 lb, so I'll divide into 4 batches with different spices. Hope to get it all stuffed tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2191B841-B25E-4E5C-B9EC-0511B06EBB66.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	651081

Really nee-ice gear, an product, there. Brother!

On edge of my puter chair, lookin forward to th ride...

Comment

You will be fine on the fat..do u use homade seasoning recipes or bought ones??

Comment

• radshop
        radshop commented
        Editing a comment
        I just season myself based on recipes from the Rytek Kutas book. How about you?

I buy my seasonings.. tried for years to make my own but didn't work well.. do you add milk powder or a moisture retainer?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Please, do elaborate, as time permits,
        Gramercy!

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Milk powder helps retain moisture..

Backroadmeats radshop Mr. Bones Inlove the milk powder and the last 5 times or so took a liking to the Buttermilk powder.

Scientificaly i I have no idea what the difference is but noticed a diff in my sausage. Seemed to tack up better and slide right through. I think it tasted better too.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Buttermilk sounds tasty enough to me, Brother!

Where ya sourcin th buttermilk powder from?

Might save some wear an tear, on my googlin finger.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones At Stater Brothers or Smart n final. Each about a mile away as the crow flies.

• radshop
        radshop commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to be a Staters guy when I lived in Santa Ana and Costa Mesa, but here in Stepford we don't have any. All the cool kids shop at TJ's.

Looking good! While we all admire major leaguers like Backroadmeats sometimes we have the most fun just watching a neighborhood pick-up game.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha, tru story! @Backroadsmeats is crazy. Obviously not his first rodeo. Jerod does that too. More power to them for cranking that out.
        Hey radshop, that stuff looks heavy and is tiring me out.

Backroadmeats this is my go-to sausage reference/recipe book. https://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage...8609/ref=nodl_ I keep things pretty simple - I've done emulsified & cured sausages before, but mostly just stick to the coarse ground recipes. I'm not necessarily a by-the-book recipe follower, but most of those recipes don't call for milk powder so I leave it out. But maybe I should give it a try. I sometimes add breadcrumbs, especially for bangers, and that's good for moisture and texture.

Comment

First batch - 10 lb of English Bangers.

Name:	6D9E3ACE-029A-4B1F-9684-D9BAD42ACAB4.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	651649

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok they look great.. what is an English banger??

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the stuffer hold down!! I started with the same set up .. a 5 lb northern tool stuffer..

Backroadmeats Bangers are an English breakfast sausage that's not just for breakfast - great pub food. I first had them right here in SoCal because a branch of my in-laws family are English. Then I spent some time working on a project in London and really got a taste for them . One of my favorites, and super easy recipe. Authentic is pure pork, but also good with a pork/beef blend like mine.

For 10 pounds of meat:
        2 cups ice water
        1 cup bread crumbs
        2 tsp white pepper
        1 tsp ginger
        1 tsp sage
        1 tsp mace
        Salt to taste

Comment

Thanks for the posts Backroadmeats and radshop . I'm getting ready to TipToe into sausage. We like very mild sausage. One of my neighbors makes a fresh sausage that we like with just pork and beef ground coarse and then seasoned with salt, pepper, and mustard seed. Any suggestions for a rookie as far as seasonings and casings etc. ?? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Skip I would try the p&s Sheboygan brat seasoning . It is a nice mild seasoning. Stuff in a 28-30 mm casing..

Comment

Skip Keeping in mind that I mostly make things up as I go, here are my tips:
              • I've bought casings from a few online sources, but now I only buy from Walton's online. Not saying that's the only good source, it's just what works for me. When you get them shipped to you, if you open right away you will think they have rotted. Don't open them until you have put them in the fridge and let them fully chill, then they will still have an odor until you soak them but should be fine.
              • Be ready for some trial and error when it comes to stuffing - it takes some practice to get used to. I suggest starting by under-stuffing even if it means you have to prick a lot of air pockets - it's a lot less frustrating than broken casings. Having said that, expect that you will break casings sometimes when twisting the links - not a big deal, just use the part that comes out for making some patties.
              • A mild sausage like what you are describing makes it nice and easy. I generally keep things pretty simple.

Comment

Okay, this is the last of it for now. This is 20 lbs of fresh uncured bratwurst. Instead of 4 recipes of 10 lbs each, I decided to do 2 recipes, so ended up with 20 lbs of bangers yesterday and the brats today. Time to break out the vacuum sealer and fill the freezer back up.

Name:	B3C4001F-A9FA-4CB1-9E2F-D9A41B0E7E21.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	652302

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here