Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Chili Sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Chili Sticks

I was inspired by Henrik to get my home-built "Biltong Box" operational again. Ever since I’ve become obsessed with smoking I have neglected a lot of what I previously really enjoyed doing and making biltong was something I did excessively.
    I bought 14 pounds of round roast to make a beef curry and kept a piece to make a few Beef Chili Sticks (my daughter’s favourite biltong).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190220_184612.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	638679

The biltong box is made from a 60 Litre Tote box with a small dry wall fan and light bulb and outlet vent.

Name:	20190220_191351.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	638680

I sliced the kept piece of topside roast then rolled like a swiss cake and sliced into thinner pieces to make the sticks.
    Coated the strips with Chili Biltong Spice

Name:	20190220_185739.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	638681Click image for larger version

Name:	20190220_190325.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	638682

Threaded onto a wood skewer

Name:	20190220_191032.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	638683

Hung in biltong box for drying

Name:	20190220_192910.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	638684
    The sticks should be ready in 2 days.

Looks like a box of night crawlers!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      To be edible ones.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      sorry, holehogg can't wait to see the finished product.

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      night crawlers are edible...

So is Biltong basically the same as making jerky but without the smoke?

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I gather. Not at all familiar with Jerky. Just the term.

Wish I had seen this before I bough the dehydrator.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheap box to build.

Nice post

Comment

Biltong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        "The word biltong is from the Dutch bil("buttock”") and tong ("strip" or "tongue")" heehee

Cool stuff! Learned something new today!

Comment

Great to see another Biltong box! I love the fact that it is stainless. I'm doing a YouTube video next Friday on the subject. Now take some photos of the finished product also!

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Box is plastic. Friend who produces for sale purposes are all huge stainless steel cabinets with same light and fan set up.

Well the Biltong took quicker to dry than I had anticipated and how I found out was my daughter mentioned it and the missing pieces evidence. Time to dry +-18 hours.

Name:	20190221_174246.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	639128

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here