Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meatheads' Andouille Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meatheads' Andouille Recipe

Just finished up a batch of Andouille using Meathead's recipe. Really pleased with them, they are a good looking, good tasting and good eating sausage. Some of this batch are destined for a breakfast fatty recipe I'm working on. Sure going to give the fatty a great centre.

Only one small criticism, I found my hog casings a little too tough once cooked, maybe I didn't soak them for long enough? Otherwise not bad for a first effort.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Andouille.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	636080

That looks killer! Nice work!

Comment

That is some good looking sausage. Sometimes you just get tough casimgs. Some things to consider. Too high of heat at the start of the cook can toughen casings. The other is that you can do a quick soak in vinegar to soften casings, but if you soak too long they will have a tendency to split on you. The last 10 minutes of the soak is usually a good time to add the vinegar.

Comment

• MeatMonster
        MeatMonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Great tips thanks!

Those look awesome and have inspired me to make them. I quickly looked at the recipe and maybe I missed it, but if grinding ones own meat do you use a sausage grind or more of a chop meat grind? Thanks

Comment

• MeatMonster
        MeatMonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi glad I inspired you! You do need a meet grinder \ sausage maker, although please note the specific instructions on how to go about grinding \ cutting the meat to ensure you get the right coarseness of finish. If its your first time using curing salts then measure twice and cut once!

Yes, I have all that. I usually make Italian sausages and I forget what die size I use but it’s the coarser grind I didn’t know if someone off hand knew what size die they used for these. I know for chopmeat some folks run through the larger die and then through the smaller one.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Try using a 3/8 or 1/4 die if you have them and then grind the meat twice.

Oh myyyy....I need to try that!

Comment

Good looking snausages. Your cutting board is also interesting.

Comment

• MeatMonster
          MeatMonster commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks - Welsh Oak, monogrammed with my initials one of my leaving gifts from my last job!

Those look great I need to get it together and make some sausages.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here