Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hog casings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog casings.

Hi All. I'm going to be making an attempt at some sausages/brats in the near future. Was wondering if you folks had any preferences in the brand of casings you've used. Are some better than others? Thanks!

I bought some at Cabellas that worked well. I’ve also heard about Syracuse Casings.

Comment

Almost. Mine were just basic without the added seasoning and spices that this one looks like comes with. Same brand though.

Comment

I can only get salted ones unless I want to pay exorbitant shipping prices. Salted ones all seem to be pretty much the same.

Comment

I use these. So far, no complaints.

Comment

• Catmandu
        Catmandu commented
        Editing a comment
        I've only made a couple batches of sausages so far, and used these same casings from Amazon. While I don't have anything to compare it to, they worked well.

• DoubleUpOrQuit
        DoubleUpOrQuit commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked at these and had them in my shopping cart. I then ended up going with the LEM casings.

I've used Butcher and Packer quite a few times. They never disappoint. https://www.butcher-packer.com/

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
        DoubleUpOrQuit commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the link EdF. I ended up getting some LEM this time around, but I'll be sure to check out the Butcher Packer product in the future.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a pricey site, but pretty comprehensive. I'm going to spend some time there...

I used to order mine from The Sausage Maker (www.sausagemaker.com), and have tried the kind you can find at places like Cabela's. Never noticed much of a difference between the brands, honestly.

Comment

I’ve been experimenting in the world of sausage for a few months now myself. I’m by no means an expert, but I can tell you the the best casing I’ve used so far have been the ones pictured. I get them on Amazon and have been very happy. I have tried a few other brands of sausage casing that are available locally here in Houston and did not like them. They seemed to break a lot while I was stuffing them and also they just didn’t seem to have the same snap to them when cooked. Just my2 cents worth. Good luck!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	0DAEDF74-A53E-40FB-95B1-79FD23A99240.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	586007

Comment

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. These are the casings I linked on Amazon.com above.

I've been using casings from the Craft Butchers' Pantry of late. I've used similar from Butcher-Packer and Southern Indiana Butchers Supply as well as the 25# sampler pack from LEM. All worked well, although the small packs are of varying diameters and are "shorts". I've settled on Craft Butchers' Pantry because I like to support an outfit that offers a wide variety of specialty casings at very reasonable prices.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm already second guessing the pack I picked up locally, LEM. I think I'm going to order some from the places mentioned above and compare them. Cheers!

Comment

Update: Made two kinds of links yesterday; Traditional fresh bratwurst and Italian sausage. For my first try at this I elected to go with the Butcher & Packer hog casings. Without anything to compare them to, I think they worked pretty well. I only used four lengths of casing, but all of them were in good condition. I did purchase some of the Oversea casings mentioned above and will be using those in the next couple of weeks on another batch. Thanks again for the advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	588046
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	588047

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
            DoubleUpOrQuit commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks JGo37

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            JGo37 , I'd be very interested in what you come up with for your Irish style.

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr ROK I marked this thread to follow it, and follow up with you. Stand by!

Does the Butcher and Packer stuff come salted or fresh? How fast was shipping?

I've come into possession of a venison quarter, two picnic shoulders and a sausage stuffer. I want to plan a day where a couple friends and I make sausage, drink beer and smoke cigars by the fire.

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
            DoubleUpOrQuit commented
            Editing a comment
            Same as EdF said. I received the shipping notice later the same day and had product by day 3.

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got the cigars! Just tell me when and where...

• w12x40
            w12x40 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great. I wasn't sure if this was something perishable that needed coordination or if I could get it ahead of time. Thanks, folks. I'll let you know when it happens so you can stop by.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here