Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Links

Anybody have a good recipe for hot links?

It depends on what type of hot links you like. For Italian(sicilian) type hot links, find a decent, generic Italian sausage recipe and add a bit more ground fennel, then add 1 tsp. pepper flakes and ¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper per pound of meat. These will be hot. You'll need to freeze your toilet paper. However, they are 'effin good. So, if you find or have a sausage recipe you already like, just add the pepper flakes and Cayenne in the above amounts to turn them to "hot links." One thing I've noticed, is that there are many "hot links" that are endemic to particular regions, so let your tastebuds be your guide. I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the advice strat. What I'm interested in is more like a hot dog syle sausage. We used to be able to buy Earl Campbell hot links , but local store doesn't carry them anymore. They were about as big around as an Italian sausage or brat from Johnsonville, but smoked and much finer texture.

Comment

• BigBear
        BigBear commented
        Editing a comment
        Sam's Club carries Earl Campbell hot links. I had a couple of them for breakfast this morning.

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately, the closest Sam's to me is a couple hours away. I do occasionally get there, so I'll have to stock up next time I go and freeze a stash!

Well, any good hotdog recipe with added heat from pepper flakes and cayenne should work. Smoke 'em low and slow, and you should be good to go. I only make my own dogs sparingly, so, I just grab a recipe from the web, or get a "kit" from my local butcher supply, or the web.

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Take up to 165? Bloom at all?

I just smoke 'em at 225-250 till I get 160-170. Use a few extra chips/chunks for a good smokiness. Thats it.

Comment

If you are looking for the texture of a 'dog try slowly poaching them to 140, then shocking them. this sets the protein "batter". follow that with a couple hours of cold smoke, then a flash on the grill. I personally prefer a coarser farmer style though.

Comment

For Meathead or others in Chicago area - Looking for a source of over-the-counter hot links and am coming to the auto show in February. After we get shrimp at Lawrence's I wonder if there are any sources of hot links that aren't too far off interstate - coming from Quad City area we can take either I80/55 or I88/280.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here