Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic Michigan Coney Dog Sauce Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Michigan Coney Dog Sauce Recipe

Coney Sauce
    • 1 lb. ground chuck
    • 1/2 t kosher salt*
    • 1/2 t Lawry’s seasoned salt
    • 1 C water
    • 3 oz tomato paste
    • 1 T chili powder
    • 1 T cumin powder
    • 1/4 t celery seed
    • 1/2 t black pepper
    • 1/4 t paprika
    • 1/4 t sugar
    • 1 T Worchestershire
    • 1 T hot sauce**
    • 1 T Masa Harina***
    • 1/2 t garlic powder
    • 1/4 t onion powder

*If grinding your own meat use this to dry brine 1 pound of chuck roast prior to grinding.

**I use my homemade sauce. The best approximation in terms of heat is 1/2 T of Frank’s and 1/2 T of Tabasco.

***Masa Harina is corn flour and is highly recommended over all-purpose flour for this dish.

Directions:
    • In a medium sauce pot add the ground chuck and water. Do not brown the meat first. The goal here is to chop the meat up into really small pieces and cooking it this way achieves that. Stir and chop at meat constantly until it browns.
    • After the meat browns add the wet ingredients and the tomato paste, bring to a light boil and make sure the tomato paste is completely rendered.
    • Add the dry ingredients, thoroughly mix, and after a minute or two reduce to a gentle simmer and let all of the components meld, uncovered, over the course of a half hour.

Notes:
    • For a classic Coney use a natural casing frank, top with coney sauce, yellow mustard and then chopped white onionserved on a warmed bun.
    • Proper balance is the key. Even with the coney sauce this is a dog that should be able to be eaten with your hands. Have a fork handy to mop up a bit of coney sauce that oozes out, but if a fork and knife is needed you have too much coney sauce on your Coney dog.
    Last edited by JeffJ; May 24, 2018, 08:07 PM. Reason: Through additional experimentation I thought the added tomato paste broadened the taste and that adding the dry and wet components at the same time made it more difficult to fully integrate the tomato

Is this Detroit or Flint? Big dig diff bro. Just sayin

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      My detroitmhas beef heart

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Beef hearts does have regional roots, but I decided to forego them and will be posting the reason on a forthcoming comment....

I think they used beef hearts it the orignal coney sauce there.

Comment

Depends on which city. Don’t bunch Michigan into one sauce!

Comment

"Coney" as in Coney Island, Brooklyn. As in Nathan's. Nowhere near Michigan (Detroit not Flint.) Just saying.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          The orignal Coney Island was in Jackson Michigan. Jon Solberg

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter The original Coney Island is in dispute, based upon my research. The Todoroff family claims it originated in Jackson, MI. The Keros family will tell you it originated in Detroit. Record-keeping is sketchy so it will be a subject of endless debate.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          The first documented European name for the island is the Dutch name Conyne Eylandt[6][7][8][9][10], or Konijn Eiland using modern Dutch spelling, meaning Rabbit Island. [11][12] The name was anglicized to Coney Island after the English took over the colony in 1664[13][14][15][16], coney being the corresponding English word.[11][12][17]

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
        "Coney" as in Coney Island, Brooklyn. As in Nathan's. Nowhere near Michigan (Detroit not Flint.) Just saying.
        You wouldn’t understand. : )

Comment

Heck, whether it's Flint Detroit or Mackinaw it sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for putting it together and sharing JeffJ.

Comment

Nothing better than a good sloppy hotdog. Thanks.

Comment

Jon Solberg I would say this is a Detroit approximation.

Based upon my research the original 'Hot Dog' was created at Coney Island NY.

As for the Coney Dog....depending on the historical source it either originated in Detroit or Jackson, Michigan.

Coney sauce is an interesting condiment. I have cooked it countless times and have used fresh ingredients and whilst it was flavorful, it never captured the essence of a good coney sauce.

It hit me like a ton of bricks when I had 2 Coneys at Lafayette Coney in Detroit a few weeks ago - it's a condiment. It's not supposed to be eaten out of a bowl. All of my prior coney sauces have been too meaty.

Based upon my note-taking and experimentation I feel that this recipe will please a crowd....keep in mind that a Coney Dog is meant to be picked up and eaten by hand - a little coney sauce goes a long way.

Comment

I just finished making a batch and feel the subtle changes made to the recipe improved it.

Comment

Well done Jeff. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Comment

Tell us about the beef hearts, Jeff.

Comment

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've read that some classic coney recipes use beef hearts. at some point I'll experiment with them. For this batch I put my new meat grinder to good use on a 2-pound chuck roast. Really happy with how this batch came out.

• Dick Anderson
                      Dick Anderson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So ground up. Think you'd need fat?

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dick Anderson Ground chuck has enough fat for this recipe.

Being born and raised in Flint and having fond memories of eating great coney dogs, but not having one for quite a while, I am definitely going to try this!

Thanks!

Comment

It's what's for dinner tonight!

Comment

I'm definitely making a batch today or tomorrow. Thanks, JeffJ !

Kathryn

Comment

• CaptainMike
                          CaptainMike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Great minds.....

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here