Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Brats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Brats

I enjoy making what we call hot brats every now and then. It's not BBQ or grilling, but this is a great way to eat brats when you are in the mood for something different.

Here's what I do for about 2 pounds of brats:
    - Brown the brats on two sides with electric skillet set to about 350
    - Remove and "butterfly" the brat cutting through all but about 2 to 3 inches of the casing
    - Arrange them meat side down and brown
    - Pour about two cups of salsa (I use Pace medium) and 6 oz of beer over the brats
    - Cover and simmer long enough for the the sausage to finish cooking, 10 minutes or so
    - Remove the cover and continuing simmering to reduce the sauce to about the consistency of thick ketchup

I like to eat mine in a slice of bread but it's great without. This sauce is so delicious. If there happens to be any left on the plate when the brats are gone, it is completely acceptable to just mop that up with some bread and eat it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hot brats.JPG
Views:	888
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	446756

They look good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrybell View Post
      i enjoy making what we call hot brats every now and then. It's not bbq or grilling, but this is a great way to eat brats when you are in the mood for something different.

Here's what i do for about 2 pounds of brats:
      - brown the brats on two sides with electric skillet set to about 350
      - remove and "butterfly" the brat cutting through all but about 2 to 3 inches of the casing
      - arrange them meat side down and brown
      - pour about two cups of salsa (i use pace medium) and 6 oz of beer over the brats
      - cover and simmer long enough for the the sausage to finish cooking, 10 minutes or so
      - remove the cover and continuing simmering to reduce the sauce to about the consistency of thick ketchup

i like to eat mine in a slice of bread but it's great without. This sauce is so delicious. If there happens to be any left on the plate when the brats are gone, it is completely acceptable to just mop that up with some bread and eat it.

Name:	hot brats.JPG
Views:	888
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	446756
      oh yes!!!!

Comment

Nice easy treat, will add it to my repertoire!
        Looks/sounds yummy!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          You have a repertoire? I’m impressed. Without spell check, I wouldn’t have been able to get the word out. I have no repy, (new word) that’s why have so many books

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Nah, no actual repertoire, as such, hereabouts...jus ol skool...
          Jus seent that there word on th Interweb, tried to casually slip it into a conversation.
          Reckon I got some more homework todo, huh?...

As my wife likes to say. " that looks like a hot mess "
        👍👍👍

Comment

Looks good! I don’t think there’s a wrong way to cook brats.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          There ya go, let’s suse viid some brats, yum. Brilliant reply DW.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          OK you sarcastic bunch, I've SVqued some brats my butcher made and they were excellent, so there.....

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Sous vide brats using chef steps recipe and browning on the grill, are the best I've ever had.

Heck yeah I’d dive into that. 👍🏻

Comment

I like brats, and I like beer, and I even like licking the plate. Trifecta for me bro !!!!

Name:	lick.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	446932

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here