Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to smoke a fatty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to smoke a fatty

But alas I don't live in Colorado. Sigh.

So it'll have to be the sausage and bacon variety. I've seen some good ones on the site but can't find 'em. Anyone have a good recipe or recommendation for a fatty?

Huntington Beach awaits you and your fatty. I think Huskee wrote that one and it's not in the recipes.

Comment

Smoked on the kj clasic at 300, smoked jowl bacon in the middle hickory smoked on the outside. 2 lbs of hot Italian sausage 20170904_192431.jpg20170904_192504

look up bacon explosion from all things bbq. It was the recipe I used, I would add more cheese tho

Comment

For mine I don't use bacon. I like to unwrap a storebought sausage roll whole, and roll it in brown sugar, or MMD then brown sugar, or light BBBR then brown sugar, then smoke indirectly to done. It's super easy and so good.

Comment

customtrim Huskee. Now I want to smoke two fatties!

customtrim That bacon explosion looks mighty tasty! I see what you mean about more cheese though.

Comment

Huskee whadya think if I wrapped it in bacon then rolled in MMD? Would the bacon still crisp? It'll be my first cook on ny UDS when built to start the seasoning process so I want the bacon.

Comment

I'm with Huskee and the KISS principle for fatties. Open a tube of sausage, we like using the maple variety, put a light coat of yellow mustard on to better hold the rub, liberally cover with rub and smoke. Super easy and uber tasty. Any rub will work, but we prefer one that has a decent amount of sugar and a good heat component. If you want to get 'fancy', poke a hole in the middle of the sausage and shove a couple of cheese sticks in the hole and then seal the holes up. Hard to beat cheese-stuffed fatties.

Also, fatties aren't just for breakfast we use them for snacks (sliced with melted cheese on Wheat Thins or Triscuits), crumbled in to soups, stews or a pot of beans, etc. Lots of options. Fatties are one of our favorites around the holidays because they can be thrown on while the big protein is being cooked and they're done in a jiffy. I usually do 3-4 each holiday because they're so versatile and they tend to disappear after our boys conduct late-night raids on the refrigerator.

Comment

Thanks Willy T-bone Huskee customtrim ! I have come to my decision. Like I said, this will be my first seasoning cook on my UDS so I am going to invite a few sausage, bacon, and cheese eaters over and cook 'em both! Should make for a fun tasty test. Willy that Smokin Fatties site recipe looks awesome!

Comment

Haven't done it in a long, long time. Last one I did was mixed 50% sausage/50% hamburger meat. Had a bacon weave with the burger/sausage meat spread on top. Put some cooked crispy bacon in the middle along with some bbq sauce. Rolled it up and then coated the outside bacon with brown sugar. It was awesome, but I think i put on 5lbs just thinking about it.

Comment

I've done these both ways, like Huskee does and stuffed and covered in bacon. Both are great but I like just covered with rub and smoked best. If I use bacon I'll use thinner bacon and par cook it first, that helps.

Comment

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Dadof3Illinois ! I'll have some bacon and sausage lovers around on the day of the cook so I'll do both and see what we like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160703_104520.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	422139 this is how i do it 😁
                  Attached Files

Comment

http://www.smoking-meat.com/may-12-2...-ham-n-cheddar. I also added green pepper. I did not put rub on outside of bacon. Put inside sausage before rolling or roll in rub before adding bacon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	422173
                    Last edited by jlazar; December 11, 2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks jlazar and Juddlight ! Look how good both of those look! I really don't know which one I'll like more.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here