Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware of the paper towel trick with your grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of the paper towel trick with your grinder

For a while now I've been using the trick J. Kenji Lopez-Alt included in The Food Lab, shoving a paper towel into my KitchenAid grinder to squeeze out the last few bits of meat at the end of a batch. I use the small select-a-size paper towels, and usually one has been sufficient. The last time I made brats the meat didn't seem to be passing through the die very well after the first paper towel, so I put in one or two more. Bad idea - the paper towels caused the auger of the grinder to seize up while the motor continued trying to turn. I shut off the mixer ASAP and it wasn't immediately obvious that very much damage had been done. However, with the next batch of pizza dough I tried to make the mixer started refusing to turn if it met any significant resistance.

The photo below shows what's left of my mixer's worm follower gear. Thanks to instructions on a great You-Tube video and some new gears I'm back in business, but hopefully my experience can serve as a warning for others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0095.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	398977

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Guess I won’t be doing the paper towel trick

Comment

Deleted
        Last edited by flht01; October 21, 2017, 04:09 PM. Reason: I’m using a different grinder and decided it would be best to retract my advice.

Comment

I use bread

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            I like that ideal

• Omega-Man
            Omega-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't tried it but what I have hear is bread is the way to go

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            So do I

So how did the paper infused brats taste??

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe like chicken? 👀

One slice of bread does the trick for me.

Comment

You always use bread

Comment

Ouch! :/

Comment

Paper towel??? Seriously??? Bread!!!

Comment

Reckon bread has always worked jus' fine, here...
                  With all due respect, Kenji

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here