Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotdog fixing and condiments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotdog fixing and condiments

What are your go-to's for a hotdog?

I am a mustard, chili, and cheese guy. I'll sometimes splurge and throw diced onions and/or dill relish.
    I am not a fan of ketchup on anything really. Hardly even fries these days. I've never liked ketchup on a hotdog even as a kid. Rarely added ketchup then.

We did something like this a while ago. Here starts the battle between mustard and ketchup fans!

Mustard on hotdogs, ketchup on burgers for me. Sauerkraut is also good on dogs.

Comment

Ha! Always a battle.

Comment

I like dogs basically three different ways and if I want to up any of them a notch I char the dogs and must have steamed buns.

Chicago style; yellow mustard, chopped onions, dill relish, maters with a dash of celery salt, and maybe sport peppers. With a dill pickle spear.

New York style; yellow mustard and sauerkraut.

Chili dog; yellow mustard, chili, and chopped onions. Cheese kicks it over the top.

Years ago I was working with a food rep that came from the south in Chicagoland and when lunchtime came I suggested that we get hot dogs. He looked at me like I was out of my mind, but went along with my suggestion.

After having his first one (yes after that he wanted another) he commented that he was expecting something like a Oscar Meyer dog and was amazed at how good they were.

Chicagoland has lot's of hot dog joints and there are an number of them that will refuse and even ridicule you if you ask for ketchup on your dog.

Comment

• cwain8845
          cwain8845 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have feeling I would fit right in with Chicago. I like that style dog a lot. I have had it before and its really good. I also like the blackhawks. Being from Louisiana we don't really have hockey down here and I love the sport. But I love the city of Chicago even more.

I refuse to answer the question on the grounds that it would get me in trouble with hot dog purists. I will say that I discovered the Hebrew National 1/4 pound all beef frank at a local supermarket last summer and will not grill any other standard brand dog any longer.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          C'mon, join me--say it loud and say it proud!!!! lol

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Heck no Willy - it's way more inflammatory (pun intended) than a cooking temp debate! Hahahahaha. I will give you a hint - it's the same condiment that fuzzydaddy dips french fries in.

Big (Costco size) Hebrew National dog (or Polish) grilled slowly 'til brown all over but not split open and leaking juices, toasted bun, heavy brown mustard, grilled onions (or raw), and CATSUP!! There, I said it. Shoot me.

Comment

• cwain8845
          cwain8845 commented
          Editing a comment
          I' m just not a fan of the sweetness from the ketchup on a hotdog or mainly anything for that matter. Same reason why i dont even look at sweet relish.

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          cwain8845 You aren't alone. I just like flaunting my heresy. LOL

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. Me too. I put whatever sounds good at th' time on it, an don't care one lick what y'all think, or put on yers.
          Sandwich pal is used, occasionally...

Heavy Dijon with MH's NYC Onion sauce is dynamite. Can also use pickles, pickled onions or sauerkraut, but always a ridiculous amount of spicy mustard.

Comment

Home fermented sauerkraut braised in stout (Murphy's or Guinness) and brown sugar. Yellow mustard on the potato bun. Dogs (Hebrew National, of course) braised in amber ale (typically Fat Tire or Alaskan Amber) with a bit of sugar then seared on the grill.

Comment

• lschweig
            lschweig commented
            Editing a comment
            Vienna dogs are also great, but don't know if they are available nationally.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Sauerkraut is no longer cabbage - just like pastrami is no longer just corned beef!

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            lschweig - I checked for availability of Vienna dogs in the Denver area and found a number of places that serve them ... but none that sell them.

Pure homegrown Horseradish

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            YUMMY!!! Havin' quite th' hard time sourcin' homegrown horseradish here. I eat it in volume, t' say th' least.

I love ketchup on hot dogs and burgers. not a huge fan of mustard.

Comment

Hebrew Nationals from Costco or at Costco. Diced Onions with French's yellow ballpark mustard and a Coke for $1.50.

That item has been Costco #1 gross revenue SKU for decades.

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              The best food deal in the world! You forgot the catsup and brown mustard. ;«)

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Catsup and brown mustard on a hotdog??? You've been misguided my friend. That's for hamburgers, NOT hotdogs.

• lschweig
              lschweig commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto Breadhead catsup on a dog is blasphemous or for improperly trained little kids. If you must have catsup put it on your fries or onion rings.

For me, the best hot dogs I have found come from Zaycon Fresh. The 100% All Beef Hot dogs are the best, IMHO. They are about $3/lb and you buy them in 10lb cases. This works great to have them in the freezer for those last minute cookout days. I also buy other meats from them on occasion (chicken/gnd beef) and they are fantastic.

As for the condiments on my hotdog, it's chili, onion, brown mustard and cheese.

Comment

Chicago style is number 1 , Then its a toss up between a good ole mustard and onion dog or chili dog with mustard and onions (no beans in the chili of course).

Our past President said it, " ketchup on a hot dog..never" I'm just saying.
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 15, 2017, 02:47 PM. Reason: No need for extra adjectives...

Comment

I grew up in the Chicago area but it's New York style for me!

Comment

• lschweig
                  lschweig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah you have to like the kraut!

Yellow mustard, brown mustard, and onions on a Hebrew National. I sometimes split them down the middle so that I can get more browning.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here