Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustrated with grinder - looking for assistance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated with grinder - looking for assistance.

After using a hand grinder for a few years, I decided to move up to an electric. Purchased a Weston electric that seemed to get good reviews. Remember, I'm only doing five or ten pounds once in a while, not processing 100 lbs of meat at a time.

I'm having the same problem I had with the hand grinder, though. After a bit, there is a thin membrane covering most of the holes in the grinding plate (I always grind with the coarse plate first), This membrane stops the grinding process, and I have to remove the plate to get it off.

I assumed I was missing some sort of blue skin or something when I was cutting the meat into cubes. This last attempt was for jerky and I used an inside round. This piece of meat had no surface fat and virtually no marbling. Since it was for jerky, I aggressively cut away anything 'white' but IT STILL HAPPENED.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Anyone got any ideas here? Its getting frustrating.

Andy

Just spit-balling here, but the knife is there and positioned correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Abom View Post
      Just spit-balling here, but the knife is there and positioned correctly?
      First thing I thought of, but yes. This stuff is between the knife blades and the back of the plate. I have also tried tightening the ring at various pressures, thinking it was a pressure problem - no dice.

Thanks for the help

Comment

I've run into the same problem. As best as I can tell the meat was not cold enough. You need to freeze it for, I'm thinking at least an hour or more to get the meat really stiff. Than it should pass through the grinder easier. That membrane when cold enough should cut up much easier.

Comment

I agree with Steve B. I make sure the meat is really really cold, not frozen, but dang stiff. I get the same things sometimes, but it is more wrapped around the axle at the blade and don't clog up anything. I have a LEM #8. It's a beast for the few times I use it in a month.

Comment

In addition to making sure the meat is very cold/nearly frozen as others have said, I can add two additional thoughts.
            1) Make sure the ring nut that holds the blade and plate in place is quite tight, I use a small strap wrench to tighten.
            2) Make sure the knife blade is very sharp.

If the knife is not flat against the plate and meat/gristle/silver skin is getting between the blade and the plate, something may be defective about the unit's tolerance stack-up or alignment. Or the blade is not sharp.

I use one of these to touch up my grinder blades: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=amazi0a8-20

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              BINGO we have a winner!!!

I use a LEM 1/3 horse and the only time I have a problem is when the plate or blade gets worn. You can correct this by truing your plates using wet sand paper on a glass surface. ( sand paper setting flat on the glass surface and working the plate on the sand paper ) You can do the same with the blade. Or buy new plates and blades. Years ago I had a smaller ( don't remember the brand ) grinder and had the same issue. I mainly use mine to process venison ( 3 or 4 a year ) but it does great.

Comment

In addition to chilling your diced meat in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, another suggestion would be to store your grinder head and all it's parts in the freezer. After using it, clean it VERY THOROUGHLY, allow it to dry completely, and then reassemble. I then put mine in a ziplock freezer bag (1 gallon for Kitchenaide grinder and 2 gallon for Cabela's grinder) and store in freezer till needed.

Since this appears to be a new grinder, I'm thinking that dull blades wouldn't be an issue, but maybe you have a defective blade or plate????

Comment

Some of the better models have a Teflon thrust washer on the other end of the auger. This might be missing

Comment

It could be a worn blade, but doubtful due to it being new, or a worn thrust washer. When mine does this, it is usually because I did not tighten the lock nut good enough. You really have to tighten the mess out of it.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I knew I'd get the answer from the experts here!

it looks like I have to do two things. The meat has to be WAY colder than I have had it. And I have to tighten the ring down better.

I will also check that the plates and blade are true, and check for the thrust washer.

I'll post an update in a couple of weeks.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah and put the grinder and its part in the freezer too. You won't regret it.

Saw something very interesting yesterday. I was watching an episode of 'Chopped' for a few minutes and the chefs had a Boar steak to use for their entree.

Since this is a tough piece of meat, and they only had 20 minutes to make something, one chef decided to grind the meat.

Of course the meat would be cold, but not nearly frozen as has been suggested in this thread. As he was grinding, I noticed that the center of the grinding plate was not extruding anything, just some of the holes on the outside of the plate. THIS IS THE EXACT PROBLEM I DESCRIBED IN MY FIRST POST! And I would expect that the equipment in the 'Chopped' kitchen is top-end stuff, not consumer-level like I'm using.

This leads me to believe that nearly frozen meat is probably the most important thing of all. Of course, I will be doing ALL of the things suggested here to maximize my chances of success.

I found it interesting that I came across this shortly after I started this thread.

Thanks again for all the help, I'm planning some sausage in the next couple of weeks, so I'll update this thread with my results.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                      Dr ROK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your grinding plate will start clogging from the center and then the clog will work it's way outwards to the edge of the grinding plate. Tendon and sinew that does not get cut starts to wrap around the center of the auger. Remove as much of the sinew and tendon as you can and this will help too.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here