Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Links

Does anyone have a recipe for Hot Links? I loved these sausages when I lived in Louisiana, but the commercial brands I can get in Reno, NV just don't compare.

Found this on the Mother Earth News site.

Louisiana Hot Links

Ingredients:

• 5 pounds pork
    • 1-1/2 ounces salt
    • 1/4 ounce black pepper
    • 1/8 ounce cayenne pepper
    • 1/4 ounce red pepper flakes
    • 7/8 ounce hot paprika
    • 1/4 ounce garlic powder
    • Pinch of allspice
    • Pinch of dried bay leaves
    • 1/2 ounce mustard seed
    • 29–32 mm hog casings Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together with your hands until they are equally distributed.

2. Grind the mixture two times through a grinder on a medium die.

3. Using your hands, mix the ingredients again thoroughly until they become sticky and emulsified. (The sausage should stick to your hand when it’s turned
    upside down.)

4. Add the loose sausage mixture to the stuffer; pack it down to remove all of the air pockets.

5. Stuff the sausage into the hog casings and twist links 3 to 1 pound. (Generally, each sausage should be 5 to 6 inches long.)

6. Lightly poke each sausage link with a poking tool 3 or 4 times.

7. Put the twisted links in the refrigerator, uncovered, and chill overnight to dry out the casings.

8. Snip the sausage at the seams to separate them into links.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      You're my heroine, Atalanta ! I searched my recipes, but only had stuff in Rytek's book, and that was too much typing for me.

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      Awww thanks, EdF

• Dusty
      Dusty commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice recipe, very good ratios.

Thanks Atalanta...I will try...I appreciate the recipe!

Comment

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      Be sure to post results and review.

Not sure what you're used to, but here's a couple I haven't tried, but have saved for future use:

Bigwheel's World Famous Genuine Texas Hotlinks

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    5 pounds boston butt
    2 pounds lean beef
    1 cup cold beer
    2 T. fresh ground black pepper
    2 T. crushed red pepper
    2 T. Hungarian Paprika
    1 T. cayenne pepper
    1 T. minced fresh garlic
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    2 teaspoons ground corriander
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
    1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
    1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons ground thyme
    6 teaspoons Mortons Tender Quick
    1 teaspoon MSG

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meats into grinder sized pieces. Dump the spiced beer onto the cut meat and mix it up good. Run spiced meat mixture through the grinder coarse or medium plate and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Wash it down with the other 17 1/2 cans of Lone Star.

Cajun Hotlinks – Old Smokey Version

Cajun Hotlinks – Old Smokey Version

If this recipe is too hot for your taste buds, cut down on the cayenne:

5 lbs pork butt
    5 t. salt
    2 t. black pepper
    2 t. thyme
    1 1/2 t. cayenne
    1 t. each garlic and onion powder
    1/2 t. allspice
    1/2 t. sage
    1 cup water

Cut pork butt with its fat into grinding size chunks. Mix seasonings and work into meat. Put into the fridge for a couple of hours. Stir in 1 c. ice water, grind and stuff. Enjoy!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Granpa! The more recipes the better. And congrats on the new family member!

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks great. I will have to try it. I don't have MTQ, so I'm gonna use InstaCure instead and up the salt amount. Thanks
      Last edited by TripleB; September 20, 2017, 11:02 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here