Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moar adventures in sausage making - Texas hotguts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Moar adventures in sausage making - Texas hotguts

    I was craving some this week, so I decided this weekend would be the perfect opportunity. For those who don't know, there's nothing especially "gut"-focused about these sausages, other than being in a natural casing. They're basically like a hot link. There is no specific recipe or ingredients list, except that they all contain salt, pepper, (usually) curing salt and cayenne. My recipe is based off of Bradley Robinson from Chud's BBQ and published as part of 2 Guys and a Cooler's Celebrate Sausage Season 3 Episode 9.

    His recipe sounded a bit hot to me for my wife and others, so I toned down the cayenne a bit. I am glad I did - they came out with a little bite for me, but would have been vastly overpowered for my wife if I had left it as it was. Even now, it's still a little warm for her.

    This was planned to be a couple of small batches, around 5 lbs each. One with cheese, one without. Then I started pulling scraps out of the freezer and realized how much I had... then I bought a brisket to cut up and grind... next thing I knew, all said and done, I had 38 lbs of ground meat and fat. DOH! Just a side note - I've said it before, but the MEAT! Your Maker 1HP #22 grinder is a freaking beast. I can't imagine what the 1.5HP model is like. Sheesh.

    I feel like I spent the whole weekend grinding, mixing and more importantly cleaning. Man, sausage making is a mess!

    Someday I want to have a big open kitchen with insane amounts of counter space and a giant island (with power run to it) and a big, big BIG and DEEP sink. Actually, I'd love to have a commercial wash station, honestly. Wife will probably ixnay that, but that's what I'd like to have.

    This was my brisket trim scraps I had left over before cutting in to my 18lb Primer brisket.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	49
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	1889546​

    And the Prime brisket itself:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	48
Size:	6.52 MB
ID:	1889547​

    The brisket meat (not extra fat) ground up - I estimated this about 85/15. What do you think?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	46
Size:	7.18 MB
ID:	1889548​
    My pork ground up was about 80/20 or so - mostly from a couple of butts, well, three actually. I had only the bone portion, having cut the boneless portions off for steaks or thinly sliced for al pastor. Had a pack of belly trim and some rib trimmings as well.

    I plugged into AI all my weights of lean beef (85/15) and pork grind (80/20) as well as how much just fat (95/5) from the beef, added in my recipe(s) and started working through fat ratios need and had it print me up 4 sheets to come up with my end products. In the end I had this:

    All-beef Texas hot gut - 2722g (~6lb)
    Beef & pork Texas hot gut - 4991g (~11lb) - with diced jalapeno and pepper jack cheese
    Country breakfast sausage - 3655g (~8lb)
    Ground beef/pork mix - 4444g (~9.8lb) - this is for general purpose cooking. Weeknight tacos, spaghetti, dirty rice, sloppy joes... anything you'd just use regular ground beef for. About 75/25 fat, about 16% pork.

    Hot gut sausages were calculated at 70/30 for fat content, as hot gut IS supposed to be a juicy, greasy sausage that literally drips down your chin. In retrospect, it might be a BIT greasier than we like, so I might reduce the fat content in the future - although it's going to take ma a LONG time to eat all this. lol

    "CHEESE DOWN!" A cheese mishap:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	46
Size:	5.81 MB
ID:	1889549​
    I had cubed up some cheese on Friday and put them in the fridges to dry out. I didn't have, and don't want to pay for high temp cheese. So I used my own, cubed up small and left out on sheet pans to dry in the fridge for a couple of days. One was a plain pepper jack block I got at Restaurant Depot (5lbs, cut off around 1-1.5lbs to cube). The other was about a 1.4lb round of Flamin' Jack from Sam's. It is a Member's Mark brand, made in Wisconsin and I incorporate this into my hand grated cheese blend. It is this Flamin' Jack that sadly ended up in the floor during the process... I'm not even ashamed to admit that my first thought when I looked down was, "5 Second Rule!" This is some good and spicy cheese. But alas, it is a garage floor, and no way I was getting it cleaned up in 5 seconds. This was going to go in the spicier beef-only hotguts, instead they ended up with nothing.

    This was the all-beef hot gut, cased up:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	47
Size:	5.94 MB
ID:	1889550​

    Doesn't look like much, does it? Only around 4.5lbs or so. My stuffer is gigantic and leaves around a pound and a half in the bottom when it is 'empty'. I need to buy a handful of silicone eggs to help reduce that. After frying up a couple of patties for myself, I had around ~1lb left to put in a ziplock in the freezer.

    The second batch was the pork/beef mix and I threw in the dried pepper jack (this worked REALLY well in place of high temp cheese) and around 190g of diced jalapeno, deseeded and diced to around ~1/8".

    Skipping ahead - smoking in the cabinets:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	46
Size:	5.72 MB
ID:	1889551​
    All finished sausages:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	45
Size:	5.45 MB
ID:	1889552​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	46
Size:	6.63 MB
ID:	1889553​

    Meat porn:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	46
Size:	5.97 MB
ID:	1889554​

    And this time I was REALLY good and actually LABELED everything:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	45
Size:	4.49 MB
ID:	1889555​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	47
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	1889556​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	45
Size:	4.38 MB
ID:	1889557​

    So that was it. Very good, very juicy and greasy Texas hot guts.

    Salt
    Black pepper
    Curing salt
    Granulated garlic
    Granulated onion
    Paprika
    Cayenne powder
    Guajillo chili powder
    Ground mustard
    Mustard seed (whole)

    Liquid was Sam Adams Octoberfest beer in the all-beef version and Negra Modelo in the mixed beef/pork version.

    Very tasty. Lotta work. Lotta LOTTA cleaning and washing up. <sigh>

    Smoked in my 2 propane cabinet smokers for around 5 hours up to 145-150ish using pellet tubes full of mixed pellets and wood chips (apple this time).

    I have acquired the equipment and containers to make this process work well - what I am most limited by now is my kitchen space. <sigh>

    But it was a good weekend playing with my meat.

    #2
    I would put those under my pillow and sleep well at night. Looks fantastic!

    Comment


      #3
      Nicely done...

      Comment


        #4
        Wow!

        Comment


          #5
          Enjoyed reading your process and the pictures. I always thought to make my own sausage as we do get a few deer up here but it never got past the thought stage. Your work looks so nice and I am sure they taste great.

          Comment


            #6
            Excellent!!! Gives me the itch to make some sausage. Have not made Linguiça or Sausage with Sun Dried toms in a while. The Linguica is smoked, but the sausage with sun dried toms is fresh.

            Hmmmmm

            Great write up and pics. Thanks for sharing.

            Comment


              #7
              Wow! Looks awesome!

              Been thinking about getting into sausage making, myself.. I definitely need to buy some more kitchen stuff to make it happen, but don't know how Corporate Accounting will feel about the PO's I would need to submit...

              Comment


                #8
                The photo of the trays of smoked sausage is just beautiful.

                When I did my take on Bradley's recipe, he used 14% cheese. I found that to be a bit much so when I do this again I'll do 7%.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Those look great! It’s a lot of work, but so worth it. We’re with you on the heat, a little bit is enough for our low tolerance. There is nothing like homemade. You may be tight on space, but you have the equipment to make it so much easier and fun. Nice cook!

                  Comment


                  • realdocBBQ
                    realdocBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have learned the right equipment makes it a LOT better. And you need fridge and freezer space, too - to keep that meat COOOOOLD before grinding.

                Announcement

                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                0
                Guest
                Guest
                500
                ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                7