Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest Hot Dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    As part of my job we taste tested a lot of hot dogs, Hebrew National was often tied surprisingly with Bar S all beef hot dogs. I know Bar S sells the nasty 88 cent per pounds dogs but their beef is actually a quality product. Nathan's typically fell around 4th or 5th.

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah - we like the Hebrew National knockwurst cooked in cabbage. We substitute the 1/4 lb dogs if Publix is out of knockwurst - same-same IMHO.

• Strat50
    commented on 's reply
    If I don't stuff them myself(I'm kind of a busy guy...lol), I like the Hebrew National ¼ pounders. Not a bad dog, but I still prefer skin on dogs. I love the snap and juiciness.

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    Only kosher here my man - Sabretts, Hebrew National or Nathan's in a pinch.

I am not sure if I would feed my dog any of the other ones -- muchless the hot dogs on the roller machines at convenience stores that are bright red on the outside and grayish in the middle.

Like Strat sez: you get what you pay for; so I have no issue paying $6 for Sabretts when Oscar Meyer or Ball Parks are 2 for $4.

• cdd315
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto

• _John_
    replied
    Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
    These were made from whole meat, not lips and @ssholes
    I used to work for a company that did hotdogs and was asked this a lot, and for the most part it is true, but for those interested in the US it is no longer legal to sell mechanically separated beef for human consumption, so buying all beef dogs should give you a better product.

Not that it is particularly bad for you, but the most surprising I learned was chorizo which so many people like. Aside from the intestine casing the type you find in most stores usually states on the ingredient list that it is primarily salivary glands and lymph nodes. Don't know about you but pink slime sounds better.

Leave a comment:

• _Keith
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee, we deep fried some sausages over the weekend. I like what it does to the skin!

• HC in SC
    replied
    Seattle has their own hot dog also (topped with cream cheese)? Wow - everybody is getting into the act! LOL

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Ha ha, keep it simple! Love that combo.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Word.

• HC in SC
    replied
    As anyone who has had a classic New York hot dog then you know that there are few things better than the simple combination of mustard, sauerkraut, and Sabrett's onion sauce. Here's the recipe you need to make your own onion sauce for a bite of the Big Apple.

Just add some Sabrett-style onion sauce and some Zatarian's Creole mustard and that is all you need if you have a quality kosher dog IMHO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	48539

Not trying to thread-jack, but when I was searching for Sabrett's onion sauce I saw this beautiful sight:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	48540

Has anyone seen or tried these beauties?!?!?!!?

I am going to speak with my Publix store manager about stocking some of these bad boys!

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    For me, it's not what 'fixins are on the hot dog, but the quality and character of the hotdog itself. I remember when I was a boy in Minnesota(this was the mid 60's), we would purchase locally made "weiners" from local butchers. These were made from whole meat, not lips and @ssholes, as my uncle Roy would say. As I got older, many commercial hotdogs came to the forefront. These were skinless(somehow a "selling point"), and blander than what I was used to. They tasted "canned," but were ok. This "ok" is now the norm. It's all about the price. You get what you pay for. Garbage in equals garbage out, I guess. As the artisan food movement grows(in other words REAL FOOD), hopefully we can get back to the basics of what makes for good food.

Leave a comment:

• Stubbs
    replied
    Hi Everyone, here in Australia we make what we like and love it ! Don't get caught up in protocol just enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• _Keith
    commented on 's reply
    Those are from Heid's in Liverpool, NY. I'll have to try deep frying them when we get our fryer back up and running.

• Papa Bob
    replied
    Alpine frankfurters made by Alpine packing co. Stockton Ca. best dog I have ever had spiced perfectly not greasy at all.
    S.F. Giants stadium dogs a little larger not Quite the same taste but close also made by alpine. favorite experience grilled on a bun with mustard, but love with array of fresh ingredients, onions, tomatoes, jalapenos relish bot NEVER NEVER NEVER catsup

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here