Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef suet in sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef suet in sausage

Hello all. I have a bunch of suet in my freezer that came with our half cow. I'm looking to make some sausage next month. Various recipes I'm looking at call for pork back fat. Would the suet be a good substitute? I've read conflicting advice on the interwebs on whether suet is good for sausage. I have used brisket trimmings in sausage before with good results. Is that the same type of fat?

In the few times I’ve made sausage and charcuterie, I’ve only used pork back fat. Even when we made brisket sausage, we went with the pork back fat.

so, I can’t help based on my experience. We didn’t have the ingredients so were also in a bit of a different situation. I know there are a number of contributors that make sausage, so hopefully they can provide some guidance.

Comment

If it's still the hard fat I don't see why it wouldn't work, though it's got a different melting point than fatback or the hard fat from brisket & the like and could affect the texture. If it's already rendered then no, it won't work.

Comment

• frailinryan
        frailinryan commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure it is not rendered. I'll have to thaw it to see if it is hard fat.

We have frequently made beef sausage using brisket including the hard brisket fat. Some complain that beef fat is not pure white like pork back fat, but my taste buds don't detect color. The color of the fat (and the meat) is a result of the animal's diet, but my experience is that the fat from commodity beef like brisket and chuck is only slightly off white. Here's a picture of some brisket and brisket fat prepared for grinding and the finished smoked sausage, the color is not offensive to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cubes.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1358910

Click image for larger version

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1358909

Anyway, do a small batch and see what you think. You can always render it into tallow for delicious chicken wings!

Comment

• frailinryan
        frailinryan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advice. That sausage looks great!

So, just happened to read my recipe for the jalapeno beef sausage and I didn’t use fat back. I used pork shoulder and brisket. I was thinking of a different sausage that we made.

So, perhaps as John says, just do a smaller batch and see what if you like it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here