Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking then drying jerky in the smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking then drying jerky in the smoker?

A few months ago I made my first batch of traditional beef jerky on my pellet grill at 180 F. It turned out really good. However, while I had read Meathead's admonition on cold smoking, I didn't clue in that cold smoking is basically anything sub-200 F, and not just really low temps like 130-170 F.

For better or for worse, I am a relatively low-risk individual, so I swore off doing jerky myself. But wow that was such a fun cook.

So today I've been idling reading some journals and searching university meat science department web sites for a safe, or at least safer, way of making jerky at home.

I've stumbled upon something that is really interesting. Of course, the primary problem with cold (or less-hot, at least) smoking jerky is that your meat slices may not get up to 160 F long enough to kill pathogens and also it is really hard to temp something that thin, as awesome as a Thermapen is.

What these sites suggest is cook the jerky (beef to 160 F) -- either through steaming, roasting, or boiling in a marinade -- prior to dehydrating it!

Here is an (excellent) article, reviewed in 2022, by the University of North Dakota on this method: https://www.ndsu.edu/agriculture/ext...dern-processes

If you scroll down to the Jerky Marinade section, you'll see that instead of letting the meat brine overnight in a refrigerator and then placed on a smoker, it is boiled/cooked in the marinade and then placed on a 140 -150 F smoker until it is appropriately dried.

Has anyone tried such a method? Is the end product still....good?

The University of Wisconsin (https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/safef...Dehydrator.pdf) recommends an additional step of drying the dried jerky in a 275 F oven for 10 minutes as an additional precaution when doing jerky at home.

Comment

Really? I have been doing jerky for years in a dehydrator at 180 for hours until it is dry but not hard. Takes 6-8 hours. I use pink salt in the appropriate amount in the marinade. Have I just been lucky?

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        You're also curing your jerky, which probably helps significantly. Most of the jerky recipes I've seen don't use any prague powder.

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Your method sounds like my dads. He would have 4 of those old round dehydrators with several trays on each one going out on the screened in back porch. I do know that he marinated his jerky in some concoction that had soy sauce in it. It was very good and I don’t know of any one who got sick from it. My two sons could eat it all day.
        Last edited by Oak Smoke; July 24, 2022, 02:28 PM.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        You may want to forget the Pink Salt, and use Celery Juice instead, LOL 🤔🙄

I made jerky once with elk scraps a hunter gave me. I wet brined, smoked in a cold smoker over alder chips, and finished them in the oven at 250. They were great. I hadn't done any research and when i put them in the oven it was to dry the meat out. Sounds fun!! 🔥🔥🔥❤️🐿

Comment

Wait...wait.....I think I totally missed the plot. Turns out, Meathead has a recipe for jerky; I just totally missed it!

Here it is: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...jerky-recipes/

Meathead avoids the pitfalls with cold smoking by.....not cold smoking. We cook the meat at 200 F and then lower the temp, just as the articles above suggest.

I went down a sideways rabbit hole.

(Also, so doing Meathead's recipe.....it has a 1/4 cup of whiskey in it!)

Comment

I didn't know MH had a jerky recipe but I will try it. Most of mine are riffs off this guy https://www.jerkyholic.com/

Comment

When drying meat in the industry they have to meet specific humidity levels early on in order to get proper heat transfer to achieve the necessary lethality of Salmonella and what not.

Comment

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
              I didn't know MH had a jerky recipe but I will try it. Most of mine are riffs off this guy https://www.jerkyholic.com/
              I've used that guy's stuff and it's very good. He also has a very good post on food safety for jerky here https://www.jerkyholic.com/6-steps-t...ng-safe-jerky/

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I never saw that page. I guess I need to start pre heating the meat. I have only done beef so far

• Michael_in_TX
                Michael_in_TX commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, and he also explains something I was wondering, namely, why can we eat eye of round at 130 F when smoked, but it must be at 160 F when doing jerky. The answer is that bacteria become more heat resistant as the meat dries slowly.

klflowers - you don't need to preheat if your dehydrator can get to and maintain 160F. From that page (bolding mine):

Heating the jerky after dehydrating might not kill all bacteria due to it becoming more heat resistant during the drying process. This is why bringing your jerky to 160ºF at the start of your jerky making process is recommended by the USDA.

If you have a dehydrator that will heat jerky to this temperature, you can bypass this initial heating stage. See my page on Dehydrator Reviews for more information.

If your dehydrator does not heat the jerky to 160°F, pre-heat the meat in an oven after it has finished marinating. As an extra precaution; I ALWAYS pre-heat any turkey or chicken jerky I make, as well as use curing salt, to make sure it is safe to eat. I like being as safe as possible when using fowl.
              This all reminds me I need to buy that Nesco...
              Last edited by rickgregory; July 24, 2022, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here