Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

150,000 hot dogs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

150,000 hot dogs.

15,000 Pounds of Hot Dog Filling Spilled on the Side of a Pennsylvania Highway

With an average of 1.6 ounces per sausage, that's a loss of around 150,000 hot dogs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	283043978_2508965672572032_9043689496070793485_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s552x414&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=Ex5QOfifGjQAX-gSevX&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&edm=AIhVOLUEAAAA&oh=00_AT9Gbg3YGtBiOw3mp35Ns6NER0y_UGFZ0nJXISWZ9SK19g&a
Views:	228
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1229984

Gross.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell us you don't like hotdogs?

Hotdog shortage now

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right, a national crisis!

This picture is incredible! Why would you need to transport the filling? I mean did the truck take cargo one bay from the cat food distribution point. No one wants to see the sausage get made. . .

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Mechanically separated at one facility, formed into hotdogs at another. Plastic lined cardboard combos. One filled with chicken thighs will weigh over 2,000lbs.

• TxF
      TxF commented
      Editing a comment
      You should explain "mechanically seperate". They’ll stop asking questions after that. 😂

Damn. I think I heard Huskee 's cries of despair all the way from MI.

Comment

Interesting that it gets transported like that. I guess I just assumed it got cooked at the same plants where it's made. But what do I know about hot dog making, I only know how to COOK them bad boys properly, with thermometer probes and all.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John, Lol. As a reminder, it was while testing the new grill/smoker, and it was in addition to the bread test- finding the actual central grate temp compared to the unit's readout, and finding any hot spots. But I agree that without context it is quite a funny picture.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I never knew that, I don’t think you mentioned it before. Thanks for ruining my memories…

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      My understanding is that he machines that make skinless hot dogs are highly specialized and expensive, so it probably makes economic sense to transport meat to them from wherever it exists.

The trailer carrying the stuff doesn't look like it's a refrigerated rig. Glad I'm not cleaning up that mess.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      You should see a "gut trailer" spill.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah.
      Even when they didn't spill the old gut wagons we aromatic enough in there own right.
      The old Toronto stock yards and the meat plants moved off of St. Clair Ave in Toronto years ago but I swear drive down there and there's still the stench of death.
      A neighbor worked there and got me a job on weekends, gave one a whole new perspective on food, lasted one summer.

You can tell that was a heavy load by where the load is in relation to the trailer.
    Trailer stopper back there....the load continued it journey for a few more yards.
    Leave it overnight, the coyotes will have if cleaned up by morning.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      "local vermin win lottery and rejoice!"

Dammed right Jerrod . Our local town has a pet food factory. South and West are chicken processing plants. Worst call for our volunteer fire company is a gut truck overturned, and we get them quite often.
    It is hard to describe the sight, feel and smell of tons of chicken guts spread across a highway.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess sometimes the chickens don't make it across the road

Maple Lodge farms has a processing plant just north of us, you can tell when they clean out the pits up there.

Comment

"...and there's hamburger allll over the highway in Mystic, Connecticut."

Comment

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        my iron lung it's working...

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Just one of the many great things about this forum... I can drop an obscure Firesign Theater ref and someone always gets it!! Shoes For Industry, compadre!

Damn...I used to like hot dogs...

Comment

You can’t pack those as tight if you put it in casings. That’s probably saving you $.005 a hot dog.

Comment

There’s a plant near me (Hemplers) that makes the hot dog filling, stuffs, and smokes them all in one facility. I work on their refrigeration systems. Kinda gross seeing big vats of hot dog filling getting mixed up.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Wow, those refrigerator systems really play nice when the electricity goes out momentarily

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought the same when I seen an episode of something that showed how bologna is made. There's something off-putting about a big vat of meat batter...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here