Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to sausage making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to sausage making

Gonna try my hand at sausage making. Of course there’s a ton of "info" out there, but I’m going to take it one step at a time. I have a very basic Kitchen Aid stuffer. Went to a local butcher and got hog casings—way more than I need for my first attempt.

So my question here is, how do I best store unused casings? Freeze, don’t freeze. Salt brine, how much, etc? Thanks for any help.

Dump a bunch of salt in some water and place in freezer. I keep bags year round in my freezer.

Run water through casings before using.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

If the casings are in salt, and they almost certainly are, just store 'em in a zipper bag in the fridge. They'll last ages.

About the KA stuffer: it works, but it's a royal pain.It's best if you have a helper to feed the farce in. It also helps to get your landing surface up near the stuffer horn.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I’m sure my modest setup will need to be upgraded if I have any success at all.🤞🏻

Let us know with pics please.

Comment

I dump a ton of salt in a bag. Put in fridge. Soak and Rinse when ready to use.

Comment

Texas Larry I know you're asking about casings but I have to input my thoughts on the basic Kitchen Aid stuffer. I won't speak for anyone but me, but that thing sucks and I wrestled with it for about two hours one day, got in the car, drove to Cabela's and bought a $150 five pound sausage stuffer. I know that's a lot of money, but it's stuffed a LOT of sausages and it's really slick compared to that useless other thing I was trying to use.

I'm not down on Kitchen Aid. I use the meat grinder very successfully. It's the stuffer that doesn't work in my experience.

Comment

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed!

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. The KA stuffer is aggravatingly useable *at best*, and that's once you get the hang of it.

I don't think you have to worry about casings as long as they are packed in salt, within reason.

I use a Kitchen Aid, haven't ever tried anything else. I have about given up, too much hassle. I would like to know how to easily untangle the casings from a package. I would like to know how other stuffers make it easier.

The biggest problem I have found is finding recipes worth making for the hassle. I found a Kielbasa recipe that was fantastic. But, I tried to make mild Italian sausage, bought five pounds of ground pork to experiment, and tried five recipes. None were even as good as the local chain grocery made.

I have all but decided that sausage making is more for hunters that have a lot meat they need to do something with. Otherwise I think you need to be very motivated. That ran out for me to a certain extent.

I tried bratwurst. Many recipes. Tried a lot of meat markets, found one that I like better than any other. Now, I will just buy there.

I am still on a search for, of all things, a good hot dog recipe. Haven't found a market made one that I thought was all I ever wanted.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Mark V I would agree with you that it's easier to buy sausage from a good local source if you're not feeding too many people. My friends and I get together and make several batches at one time and then we freeze the sausages.

The stainless steel five pound sausage stuffer I use is made by LEM and you can stuff a casing in just a few seconds flat (okay, maybe a minute or so depending on how much help you have). If you're not making a lot of sausage I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

• SmokinMaggs
          SmokinMaggs commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Mark...I am going to make my first batch of sausage in the next couple of days. I've been looking for a good kielbasa recipe. Care to share the one you used? Thanks!!

• Mark V
          Mark V commented
          Editing a comment
          SmokinMaggs This link takes you to the recipe I used. Good luck!

You can get crazy with sausage or just use salt, red pepper, and smoke, and turn out something perfectly fine. A little chopped green onion helps if keeping it fresh for use in Gumbo.

Edit- I weigh ALL my sausage ingredients
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 1, 2022, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I’ve made sausage and charcuterie. I was going to try my KA but after reading as i was getting ready for the event, I ended up buying a dedicated stuffer. It’s a game changer in my mind. After that, I ended up buying a dedicated grinder as well. My friend had one we used that I liked, so I ended up buying that as well.

I’ll say that having these two items makes the process much faster. No, I’m not trying to mass produce and I also don’t make it every weekend, but for the day, it makes it nice to have.

you will enjoy it! I’ve posted here a number of times on the sausage and charcuterie. Fun posts to read through if you are interested.

My favorite sausage, a brisket jalapeno sausage - man it’s wonderful!

Comment

I'm pretty surprised you haven't been able to find a bratwurst or italian sausage recipe you like, Mark V . I'm relatively picky about my sausage, especially italian sausage, and I very much prefer my own to anything I can find in a store or market. I'll pull my recipe and put it here when I get home. I will admit I have not yet found the perfect hot dog recipe.

I'll also echo the KitchenAid comments. That's where I started and it's a miracle I kept making sausage. Found a good deal on an over-powered grinder/stuffer and have not looked back. The grinders are built for grinding and stuffing, which makes them much better at it. They'll pull the meat through the grinder, have bigger intakes, and user friendly "out takes" (discharge? out put?). You will not believe how much easier it is. Turned a three hour exercise in frustration into less than an hour of fun. I now make at least 5# of sausage every month or so. Favorites are Andouille and garlic sausage.

Comment

Appreciating all the experiences shared here. I may end up buying a stuffer, but, I think I’ll give the KA a try. Not sure SWMBO would approve a stuffer purchase without me at least trying what I have. I get that.

Comment

I've been at it for about two years, and I feel you need 3 Pieces of equipment for sausage making: a dedicated sausage stuffer, a good mincer and a decent food processor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here