Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the hot dogs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the hot dogs.

Back from vacation, answered all the hot dog questions.

I used to be able to get Alpine all beef skinless franks at my local grocery, but they stopped carrying them a few months ago. These are the best. They are better than Vienna, better than Sabrett’s, Nathan’s, Hoffman’s, anyone you can name. They are better than the duck fat hot dogs from The Duck Inn. These are huge, 1/4 lb each, and the package is irregular sized: you get five hot dogs, and the price varies.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8B670C6F-CBC9-4E16-BCB5-E37182CE1B56.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	1094756 Click image for larger version  Name:	BFA05AA3-94BF-412D-BA6A-1B05F38D74F3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	1094757 Click image for larger version  Name:	74E29D8D-1B08-41D7-8713-29937C4452D1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	1094758

Anyhow, to get to the point. The product is made in Honesdale, PA, about an hour’s drive. (Yes, they have their own plant. They make everything themselves.) So last week, I made the drive, and picked up a dozen packs of dogs, plus some other wursts and salamis and kielbasas.

Discover the mouth-watering flavors of authentic German meats and foods at The Alpine Meat and Wurst House in Honesdale, PA.

Click image for larger version  Name:	34F70D78-6C0E-42C9-818B-5BF456AF1B91.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	1094761 Click image for larger version  Name:	C3A6FCE4-3134-40CA-82AA-5D2BA3321801.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	1094760 Click image for larger version  Name:	28997B78-48FB-437D-AC24-326A63C49F05.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	1094759

Anyhow, you can order online. YES. I KNOW IT’S EXPENSIVE. But when has that stopped anyone from ordering from SRF? Or Allen Brothers, or Meat Artisan, or anywhere else? Guess what: SRF doesn’t make their own hot dogs. And I’ve had them, these are better. I’m not sure if Pat LaFrieda’s makes their own hot dogs; what I AM sure of is that these are better.

I’ve made this call-out before, I’m not sure if anyone ever ordered. I drove 100 miles with a cooler and spent serious change, basically stocked the freezer because they’re worth every penny. If they weren’t within driving distance, I’d buy them online without batting an eye.

Last edited by Mosca; September 15, 2021, 09:54 AM.

I'll look for them , as they look pretty good!

Comment

There are a lot of local / regional sausage kitchens & smoke houses doing some fine work. Nueske's in central Wisconsin is one of my favorites.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve heard of them! I just looked at their website, it looks great, same thing going on there! (But a much more professional presentation.)

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to do work for nueske’s! Good stuff!

Ok, the hot dogs look good, but the rest of that plate with the peppers and pasta salad, Yumm!

Comment

Oh no! Another hot dog thread!! 😱

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          This place has gone to the dogs!

Found ‘em. $10.49/ lb. guess I’ll find out what shipping to TX costs😁.

Comment

This place is not far from the first place we lived in Missouri, where we still have an ownership in a resort. Trips to Missouri have been few and short for the last couple of years, but when we get there the wife and I like to stock up. https://www.swissmeats.com/

Comment

Hmmm, I found at least 4 places within a half hour from me that carry their products. I'll have to check them out.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca - There's a ShopRite in Broadheadsville, a Super Foodtown in East Stroudsburg, a Dale's Market in Blairstown, NJ, a ShopRite in Mt. Pocono and a Weis in Broadheadsville, that's actually 5.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Buy them.

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca - I'm in VA for the weekend, but when I get home, I intend to check them out. Thanks for telling us about them.

They look great!

Comment

Them ain't no ballpark franks.
              The real question is with which ale are they paired?

Comment

• bardsleyque
                bardsleyque commented
                Editing a comment
                Old Rasputin! (duh)

You guys are killing me. I'm really going to have to spring and spend big bucks to have some good dogs shipped. It's just insane what it costs...

Comment

Damn. I emailed them to ask how confident can I be that they'd arrive still frozen given my climate. They recommend next day air for "mostly" frozen. The problem is next day air would cost $130.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s a bit much. They aren’t THAT good.

• Bogy
                  Bogy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  $130! I'd settle for "pretty good"!

I found them at Weis supermarket, sort of locally. They were in a small display case with other Alpine products. On the shelves they were marked $7.75 but they rang up at $9.95. I haven't tried one yet.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211005_182853533-01.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1105473

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Them’s the ones!

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47v0090i1prnqark7yw7ez0kip3rhdjpxf147dh7le&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g.gif
Views:	185
Size:	8.79 MB
ID:	1105479

Comment

I ordered. I ate. I fed a party. I'll order again! Great Dogs!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here