Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smash burgers on grill grates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smash burgers on grill grates

I make smash burgers using Kenji's recipe on serious eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...-food-lab.html . They really come out great tasting juicy burgers with one problem. When I use my grill grates turned upside down they work great, but they do tend to transfer a black layer to the burgers. Any suggestions on how to clean a grill grate so there is no residue on it?

When they aren't too bad I use a brillo pad, if they are worse I use steel wool, and if they are really bad I have a metal bristle brush I hook into my drill. Make sure you rinse well.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Steel wool did the trick _John_ thanks for the advice!

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      When I use steel wool, it strips the coating off my grill and exposes the copper underneath. Not really sure what else to do as I can't get it clean any other way.

My folks LOVE Smash burgers down in the states. I'll have to check the recipe and make them some while they are here this summer. Thanks!

Comment

1buba here's what I did tonight. Used a steel wool pad as suggested by _John_ and a little water to remove the blackened layer on the grill grates. Heated the grates for about 15 minutes over low on my gaser while I prepped the condiments and buns. I browned the buns in advance cause things go quickly when you start cooking. I have a handy plastic burger press so I presmashed 4 2 oz balls of burger that I had just ground today. You want the burgers thin so they can cook quickly. When I was ready to go to the grill I turned the grill to high for about 2 minutes, brushed the grates with oil until it started smoking and then threw the burgers on and smashed them down a bit more to make sure there was as much surface contact as possible. I let the burgers cook till they started bleeding on top (about 2 minutes) and then I flipped them and pressed them slightly to again get maximum surface contact. Topped 2 with cheese and gave it about another 30 seconds and stacked the burgers with no cheese on top of the burgers with cheese. Put them on the buns, added condiments and enjoyed. They were as good as the smash burgers I've had at the chain. Next time I plan on sautéing some anaheim peppers to use as condiments. That's what they had when I tried them in Colorado & I really liked em. If you like juicy burgers, try this recipe out and have a napkin ready!

Comment

• 1buba
        1buba commented
        Editing a comment
        I did ABT's on the WSM, followed by burgers. I mixed some Memphis Rub in the meat. There was enough sugar in them that they created a little crust on the outside. Out FREAKIN standing. A little too sweet for some, i'm sure, but i LOVED them.

Today is a raspberry chipotle smoked pork loin. Tomorrow will be two beer can chickens, still tryng to decide how to do them. :-)

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here