Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding Method

I just got my first meat grinder and have been having a lot of fun the past week. It is making such a difference in my burgees.

My question is about how to properly mix in fat - I’m seeing big chunks of ground fat which makes sense but is there a method to incorporating it that mixes it in better without over handling? I’m using about 2” x 2” cubes of meat and fat and alternating right now.

It could be that I just used too much fat (a chunk of brisket flat and some of the brisket trimmings) but curious if anyone else has run i to this problem.

Nope. I just cut the meat into strips and run her through. When adding extra just alternate and lever her be as it comes out. Then do your thing.

Comment

We each have out own perspective, but to me "overhandling" is more of a mashing kind of thing. If I feel I have a disproportionate "lump" of fat grindings in one spot I scoop my fingers under the pile and toss to equalize (visually) the distribution. I also add fat by weight rather than eyeball, my attempt to be more consistent at producing 80/20.

Comment

What are you grinding? When I grind chuck for burgers or other applications I keep the meat as loose as possible and gently intersperse the fat with the meat using my hands. No science to it - it's all done via eyeball.

Keep at it. You are correct; grinding your own meat can be a game-changer.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
          What are you grinding? When I grind chuck for burgers or other applications I keep the meat as loose as possible and gently intersperse the fat with the meat using my hands. No science to it - it's all done via eyeball.

Keep at it. You are correct; grinding your own meat can be a game-changer.
          This was brisket and i added some fat. I also did a chuck short rib blend and didn’t add, that came out more even of course

Comment

A couple of tips:

1. Keep everything cold. Put the grinder parts (horn, auger, knife, plate) in the refrigerator or freezer before grinding and between grinds. If you can, put the bowl that the grind is going into as well. Some even suggest putting the bowl in a bowl of ice while grinding to keep the meat cold, a bit overkill to me. Get the meat as cold as possible, put in the freezer shortly before grinding, however you don't want it frozen.

2. Grind twice. First grind is coarse, you can hand mix at this point if necessary, but if you've been alternating the fat in you shouldn't have to. Get everything cold again and run it through a second time.

Comment

• Guttenberg
              Guttenberg commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been doing that with the meat - freezing for 10-15 mins prior. Haven't with the grinder parts yet, I'll try that as well. What's the logic behind keeping everything so cold?

• Bluegill
              Bluegill commented
              Editing a comment
              You want to keep the fat from melting as much as possible!

• Guttenberg
              Guttenberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Duh. Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here