Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hirshon oklahoma onion burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hirshon oklahoma onion burger

Or for those who prefer not to click through:

My Citizens, a dear friend of mine who grew up in Oklahoma requested this Sooner State original recipe – Sonny, this one is for you, my man! 😀

In case you ever wondered where that name "Sooner" came from:

In 1889, people poured into central Oklahoma to stake their claims to nearly 2 million acres opened for settlement by the U.S. government. Those who entered the region before the land run’s designated starting time, at noon on April 22, 1889, were dubbed "sooners."

Now, as to the origins of this particular and delicious burger:

As noted on cowboysindians.com:

Taste of the West: The Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger
    BY JOSÉ R. RALAT
    SEPTEMBER 18, 2017

Once called a Depression burger, the fried onion burger is a pungent bite of the history and cultural makeup that define Oklahoma and the West.

The air inside Sid’s Diner tingles sweet and pungent. The source? The restaurant’s famed fried onion burgers cooked on the salt pork-seasoned grill, an Oklahoma specialty whose epicenter is a network of two Sooner State towns: Ardmore (along Interstate 35) and El Reno (along Route 66). According to one legend, it was in 1926 at the latter burg’s now-shuttered Hamburger Inn that ribbons of caramelized onions were first smashed into a griddling beef patty.

At the time they were called Depression burgers, says Adam Hall, who along with his wife, mother, and father, Marty, works at and runs the family restaurant. Established in 1967 and named in honor of Marty Hall’s father, Sid, the restaurant has been in its current location for 30 years.

"During the Depression, hamburger meat was really expensive," Hall says, "and they had to find a way to ration the meat." The inclusion of onions stretched out the amount of protein available for serving in those lean years. "[The fried onion burger recipe] has since been passed down generation to generation, and we still have the burgers today."

Of course there’s more than one creation story — such is the way of food. Another tale claims the onion burger was first served in the pre-boom postwar years. Whichever is true, one thing is certain: It’s not first-date material; the patty of beef and allium is an all-in order. The dish carries the weight of struggle and sacrifice of a people who came out of the 20th century triumphant and proud. The onion burger is a bite of the history and cultural makeup that define Oklahoma and the West.

The key to this simple burger is three-fold – the holy trinity of meat, the onions and the bun. For the meat, don’t use anything but 70/30 (lean to fat ratio) – I dare to use my own special blend of round (or chuck) for the lean and – wait for it – BACON trimmings!!! – for the fat. Your butcher can easily grind this for you – it is the ULTIMATE burger meat!!!

For the onions – they MUST be sliced paper-thin. Use a mandoline or this much cheaper but still awesome Japanese benriner for the task – nothing else will do!

The buns – I insist on Oroweat Country Potato Buns. Toasted as the original calls for or untoasted as I prefer – your call.

I add in my secret ingredient – a seasoning blend from one state south (Bolner’s Fiesta Extra Fancy Uncle Chris Steak Seasoning from Texas) that goes way past salt and pepper to make these beauties really sing! The dill pickles (and there MUST be dill pickles slices!) are from my fave brand and don’t even think of using ketchup – only French’s yellow mustard! You could – if you like – add a slice of Velveeta cheese to these, but this is a rare time when I prefer my burger sans fromage.

Try them just once and I guarantee you’ll be hooked – Sooners, I think you’ll approve of my version most stridently. 🙂

Battle on – The Generalissimo

Ingredients
    • 1 pound top-quality ground beef - TFD prefers a 70-30 blend of round (or chuck) and bacon trimmings - your butcher can and should make this for you!!!
    • 3 white onions - sliced paper thin
    • 6 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying, in total
    • Salt and pepper to taste
    • Dill pickle slices - TFD prefers Bubbie’s brand
    • French's yellow mustard to taste
    • Bolner's Fiesta Extra Fancy Uncle Chris Steak Seasoning to taste
    • 3 fresh hamburger buns - TFD prefers Oroweat country potato buns

Instructions
    1. Heat your grill or cast-iron frying pan over medium high heat.
    2. When hot, grab â…“ pound of ground beef and form into a ball. Season with fajita seasoning (if using)
    3. Oil your pan with 2 tbsp. oil and place the meatball on top.
    4. Smash this down into a nice round patty - you want it THIN.
    5. Season generously with steak seasoning blend and fry for about four minutes. Don't mess with it.
    6. Top with a nice big mound of sliced onion - â…“ of the total, press it in.
    7. While the burger is cooking, toast your buns (It’s not traditional, but TFD prefers untoasted buns for this).
    8. Flip the burger over and fry on the onion side until the meat is cooked to your liking. I prefer mine to be nice and pink inside. Only serve rare if you have purchased good quality mince from a butcher - and you should have!
    9. Repeat two more times with remaining meat, oil and onions.
    10. Place the bottom bun on a clean surface and top with the patty so that the onion is facing upward.
    11. Squirt with mustard and top with pickles and the top bun. Repeat with remaining burgers and enjoy!

Nice write up. Added to my to-do list.

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Not only an Oklahoma Onion Burger but with a heavy dose of Hirshonese. Very cool, it is next on my burger list. Thanks muchos!

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      Let me know what you think!

My mom (and wife) sometimes add Lipton dried onion soup mix to ground beef with a bit of Worcestershire Sauce to form patties. Mom says the meat has to sit with the mix for hours to make it the right consistency. Very good and ,I imagine, a variation of your recipe with a similar flavor. Great job.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup , them Lipton Onion Soup Mix Burgers are an ol time Classic from my childhood!
      Still love em!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 2, 2018, 06:50 PM.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones - So do I!!!

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much!

Awe man! This is going in my file ! Thanks!

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome!

I only add onions to the ground beef if I can't cook over charcoal, but this might change my mind.

Comment

Thank you for the generous submission.

Comment

• Jhirshon
        Jhirshon commented
        Editing a comment
        My pleasure, sir!

This goes right on the Must Make This list. It sounds so good!

Thanks, Jhirshon , for the great writeup and backstory.

Kathryn

Comment

• Jhirshon
        Jhirshon commented
        Editing a comment
        You're very welcome!

That's a win - into the recipe file!

Comment

So glad you liked it!

Comment

Nothing better than a good burger (except a good hot dog which ranks right up there). This is on the weekend grill list.
          Thank you much.

Comment

Made a few of these over the last month or so. They're pretty excellent. I prefer Dijon mustard, but yellow is not a compromise, it's good too.

Comment

Made Oklahoma fried onion burgers the other day.. Darn good indeed..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here