Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update to Burger/Bacon Grind SV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to Burger/Bacon Grind SV

Did a 75:25 ground short rib beef to homemade bacon, SV 131/3, dried and rested for 30 min, light coat of avo oil, then onto the screaming hot GG's. As some mentioned there was not much rendered out fat and they were delicious. Thanks all for your input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	573673

Name:	BB2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	573674Click image for larger version

Name:	BB3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	573675

Dang

Comment

I am puzzled about this (the bacon part). I'm guessing the IT was short of 160°F. Is it OK to eat bacon south of 160°F?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s funny, because pancetta is raw edible but bacon is not. And bacon is more cooked.

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm defused and concluded.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        It's perfectly safe if correctly pasteurized ... a process that is a function of both time and temperature. At 160, bad critters are killed almost instantly. At lower temps it takes longer to achieve the same result. SV does the job and this link explains how: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Well done.

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

And one "old school" for my man Troutman

Name:	bb5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	573735

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes sir, I'm all about old school, let me at it !!!

I would eat one of those in a heartbeat! Good Job CaptainMike !

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

tbob4 at your urging last evening, this thread is my response. BTW, we're expecting an inch of rain up here tomorrow so I'm hoping it will be a great aid in putting our local fires to bed.

Comment

Wow - page 2 did not appear for me in this thread until you responded. Stinking computers, sometimes. The burgers looks fantastic. We have had a bit of rain down here. Not a bunch, but enough to clear the air out. It has also caused a lot of scrambling among the "clients" I have to monitor in my part-time retirement job. The threat of fires and rain force them into compliance much faster than the threat of fines!

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nothing like flames tickling one's derriere to motivate one to code compliance.

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BTW, 2 different threads

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here